Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Waterproof/Breathability - CONFUSED/EXPLAINED
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
ckang008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjerstin Klein View Post
The DC Shoe Co. Makes some great gear. Personally, I love 'em. Exotex 5,000 is their opening price point weather protection but at that price point they seam seal all of the critical seams - meaning those seams that are most likely to leak are sealed shut with a special tape. The 5K stands for 5,000 mm of water resistance and the 5,000 g is the breathability. For most conditions that is more than sufficient and at the price you can't beat it.

The real question is what are you going to be doing in the jacket and will the basic level of weather protection be enough. If you are hard core - stay out in the rain all day 5,000 mm probably isn't going to be enough to keep you dry. If you ride really hard, hike the pipe, do the back country etc. then 5,000 g breathability may not be enough - but then that is what you have vents for!

If you like the jacket I'd say go for it - it is a good deal and should cover you in all basic conditions. If you find it just isn't keeping up with what you need next year you can invest in something with a better rating and keep this one for back up.

Make sure to wash the jacket regularily - this will help to keep the weather protecting matterials at the surface and keep the pores of the jacket open so it can continue to breath.

Layer properly under the jacket so that you have a good 'moisture management' system going to aid in with breathability.

If you need help on either of these points or have further questions on the jacket you know where to find me!

Ride hard!

Thanks for this post. I've been wearing Grenade outerwear and they aren't great in terms of being waterproof. i see a 15000g Rhodan pants for sale from DC. thinking of getting that now. thx
ckang008 is offline   Reply With Quote