Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - looking for a pro to make up my mind on a board
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
polecat

Default looking for a pro to make up my mind on a board

Hello!

I'm very new at this, and looking forward to next season already. Part of the looking forward/planning process is knowing that I really need to get my own board/bindings/boots instead of using the rental stuff.

My stats - 46 yrs old, 5'2", 140#, have 3 lessons under my belt (but I wouldn't even count one - I was too scared to even get on the lift...lol). I don't ski, so the whole experience is a steep learning curve. My son is 10, also had 3 lessons and is doing incredibly well. Given how quickly he grows... I'm not planning on buying his gear 'til I find a really great deal on something (or can lease). We live in a very remote area in MT, but have a decent ski area about 1.5 hrs away.

So... I over-research everything until I'm dizzy with trying to sort it out. I want to save most of my budget for boots, so am trying to find a decent board for a nervous beginner. Here are some candidates - and if anyone can narrow my search down with some guidance or wisdom, I would sooo appreciate the help. My total budget is (optimally) around $350 - and I'm watching end-of-season sales to try and score things on the cheap. I figure that boots will be the hardest to fit, so know I'll be doing some long town trips to find decent boots.

Here are my candidates:

Burton Genie
Rome Romp
Flow Silhouette
Roxy Sugar Banana
Gnu B Nice
Forum Star
Ride Rapture
Arbor Poparazzi

Easy, huh??? Arrrgh!!! I found a Flow Silhouette on eBay for $120, new, which seemed like a really good deal (it's the 12/13 model?). I don't care about graphics and anticipate (1) falling lots, (2) being very stubborn and working 'til I figure this out, and (3) staying pretty well on groomed runs and not wanting to do anything to daring (yet... ha ha ha). I just want to get out there and have a good time with my son.

Thank you in advance... I've done quite a bit of lurking here, and I know another 'what should i do to start... ' thread is likely not what anyone feels like answering. Again, I would appreciate any wisdom.

Many, many thanks -
donna
polecat is offline   Reply With Quote