Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Freeride-ish board for the Ice- Coast and occasional trips west?

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  linvillegorge 
#1 ·
So as the title says I live on the ice coast and do the majority of my snowboarding there. With the deep sales over the next couple months I am thinking about picking up a powder board / hard charging board.

I want the board to be decently damp and not get bucked around in too much chop but yet not too stiff. Float great in powder as well as hard pack
Tight Tree runs are my favorite so it would have to be able to keep a tight turning radius. And of course be fast.

The boards I was looking at are:
Yes Pick Your line
BSOD '14 Really like the flex rating but is it too soft?
Ultra Dream just worried about it being flat. Never road a flat board

Possibly Highlife UL but I am worried about the edge hold and switch riding
I think the jones boards are just going to be too stiff to pow butter

I currently have a rossignol templar which I love pretty nice little all- mountain board just want something more damp and poppy. I have rode my fair share of boards types RCR / CRC I used to own a c2-btx billy goat but I ended up selling it because I needed money and couldn't justify 2 boards. My billy goat was just a bit heavy and a little too stiff. still pretty fun though. I rode a custom X and loved it but I want Rocker in the front for a better float.

I think I am leaning towards either the BSOD or the PYL

Thanks for you help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Honestly, you described a Never Summer Cobra. I fear that most of the boards you listed are gonna be too stiff for you coming from a Templar - especially since you said the Billy Goat was too stiff. It's a mid-stiff board, but far from the stiffest thing out there. The Templar is a fucking noodle, I don't care what anyone else says. The BSOD might fit the bill in terms of flex, but it isn't very damp. I think the PYL is simply gonna be too much board and the Ultra Dream is a bit too pow specific to justify having on the east coast.

If you wanna stick with those manufacturers, I might suggest:

Capita DBX (157)
Yes The Basic
K2 Turbo Dream

#3 ·
Thank you for the fast response.

I guess I didn't mean it was too stiff. I really liked the billy goat, just when I used the Templar I just loved the flex on it. I originally looked at the DBX but i talked to someone on here that was not happy with the float on it. I am also 6 feet 200lbs so I am looking in the 161 or above range.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm fat as hell right now for me and have ridden most of this season hovering right around 200 pounds. If you can't ride pow on the DBX, then you just can't ride pow. I pretty much only break out my Charlie Slasher on the truly deep days now. I've ridden plenty of 10-12" days on the DBX with no problems. I honestly think that the DBX floats better than the Cobra and I own both and size isn't a factor - my DBX is a 157 and the Cobra is a 158.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.