Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Hip positioning on toe edge
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Extazy

Default Hip positioning on toe edge

Hello! I am a beginner snowboarder. I just started this season and had like 10 runs. I ride by myself mostly or with friends who worse than me. Usually ride greens but because of spring condition was doing some blues on Killington mountain.

I'm a little bit confused with my stance when I ride on toe edge. I used to ski a lot and never took a lesson or watched a video and realized that I have many bad habits only after many "struggling" runs on black diamonds.

So now I decided to take classes from time to time. I managed only to get 2 classes (because of spring conditions all mountains closed snowboarding schools). And both were on same mount (Hunter, NY) and with same instructor. Difference between classes was 2 weeks but he was telling me same thing.

So before classes I was riding on my toe edge in "sitting position" like my hips behind my knees. My instructor told me it's a bad stance and that I should rotate my hips forward when I ride toe side and then go back in sitting position when I switch to heel edge. If I need to achieve bigger angle on toe edge I just should arch my back and that way my knees will bend too.

It's very awkward movement and it took me quite some time to get used to it but after trying it for quite some time I notice that I just cant bend my knees that much in that position and that kinda scares me. I fell quite a few times because if I start catching edge I cant adjust very fast with this awkward position.

Last week when I rode in Killington I ended up just riding both edges in "sitting position" and I had a great time. But I don't want to get used to this riding if it's a bad habit.

I wish I could take one more class but because I cant I have to ask you guys.

PS. sorry about my bad English it's my 3rd language. And if you didn't understand what I mean by stances I can upload some pictures.

Thanks you!
Extazy is offline   Reply With Quote