Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Turning onto heel edge

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  f00bar 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been snowboarding a little bit, can quite happily do linked turns. I'm regular footed and when I do turns onto my heel edge, my right foot (back foot) comes forward as if I was going to lead with that foot, this is slowing down my transition to toe edge turn. From toe edge to heel edge is quite smooth, however this way kinda disrupts my flow.

Any ideas on why this is happening or exercises to try and stop it?

Thanks for any help in advance!

#2 ·
Easier with a video..

Bend your knees! Stop using your upper body to turn. You're probably "ruddering" to complete your turns and you don't have as much control on your heels.

I'm sure some guys who can explain stuff better than me will chime in, but that's what I suspect..

#6 ·
Are you sure you're doing the turn motion? I've had a problem with asymmetrical turns where my heelside was much tighter and more like a braking maneuver. By concentrating on the motions of the toeside and heelside turns, I realized that I was actually doing them differently. You're probably doing some combination of not using enough edge and having your weight shifted tailside.

#19 ·
No one is ever edging as hard as they think they are. Get yourself videoed and you'll probably find your outside edge is barely an inch up.

As far as weight distribution, the instruction for beginner to low intermediate is to get your weight forward so that the front of the board is controlling where you go. The intermediate to advanced instruction is that you start the turn with weight forward, and as you go into the turn you shift your weight back to engage the rest of the edge. This will become more important as your turns become more aggressive.

#10 ·
So by cam rocker you're saying that its predominantly camber in the middle?????

I only asked because while some predominantly Rockered boards can be great to learn on, and less "catchier", they can be harder to apply an even edge pressure when trying to hold turns properly!!!!! (Carving)

Like what's been suggested with too much pressure on the back foot, try and keep your body centered over the board, with if anything a slight added pressure toward the front foot when initiating the turn!!!!!

The idea is to use the whole effective edge of the board to turn by making it engage with the surface of the snow entirely!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.