Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New women's board - Jones vs Rome vs others
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
silentsnow

Default New women's board - Jones vs Rome vs others

Hi all - I'm new here, been researching like crazy, reading reviews and hoping to get some feedback on a new board purchase.

Ht/Wt: 5' 7"/143+/-
Boot: 9 Salomon Ivy
Riding: 12 yrs, Intermediate+, East Coast - NY/VT/West each year, groomers, trees, powder when weíre lucky and moguls
Current Setups: 06-07 Rome Blue 155 and 07-08 Capita Saturnia 149. Both w/Rome Madison bindings (might look to change those too).

When I first got the Blue, I was 50lbs+ heavier. Loved that board - stable, fast and carved great. I feel I don't have the power behind me that it needs to be a fun responsive ride. I want a fun board, easily maneuverable (trees/moguls) and a good carver w/some edge hold. Not big into park, but still like popping 180's off a bump or hitting some S/M jumps. Iím not bombing every run, but want to keep up w/fiance without feeling like a mixed paint can at the hardware store, then have to bitch out and slow down (riding the Capita). No rocker experience (except 1 run - Rome Mod Rocker), but I'm open to it and feel confident I can adapt rather easily. I've used thegoodride [dot] com to narrow down choices:

Jones Twin Sister 152 - Is it fun in the trees? R/C/R should carve great and float okay, mellow mag, resolved durability issues? Iíve found a few reviewers says itís chattery, but seems okay for my riding style. Less effective edge than the Gold below though...

Rome Gold 155 - QuickRip has edge hold for east coast, fun carving for a C/R/C hybrid - thegoodride calls this a more playful Blue...great in pow is a plus for out west or northern VT

Lib Tech TRS 151N or 154N - I still canít shake this one I think because I love the graphics. Quick and fun and still carves decently. May be a tad stiffer than womenís boards on my list since itís really a guys board, not sure?

Roxy Eminence (same C2 BTX as GNU B-Pro, but not a my little pony fan)

Someone mentioned the Nitro Fate to me (cambered Iím sure), looks like a nice all-mtn, probably similar (but softer?) to the Rome Mod Rocker if itís the Zero version. Thought about the Rossignol Diva...probably closer to my Blue than Iíd like based on my reading here.

Magnetraction - back when I was riding more, teaching and taking clinics, my edge control/ice confidence was way better than it is now. Worried full on mag (TRS/Eminence) will make me a lazy snowboarder, but then again, it could make shitty east coast days/runs more fun...

Seriously, any insight will be appreciated, I obviously need it. Crap that was long. My apologies.
silentsnow is offline   Reply With Quote