Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Binding sizes

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  f00bar 
#1 ·
My daughters bday is next month and I'm looking to get her some boots and bindings. I'm shooting for a size 8, she's pretty consistent shoe size wise with that. But after she tries on there's a chance I have to go to an 8.5. All a surprise and she's at school anyway so can't really take her somewhere to try on.

Anway, burton bindings size M -8, L 8+. So I'm not sure which to get. Is there an advantage to be on the upper or lower bounds of the binding? She's a beginner and this is on the cheap so they are a pair of Citizens on clearance at df. The boots are also burton so the footprints should be pretty true size wise.

#2 ·
I would go with the larger to be safe.

Is she growing at all anymore...??? What age is she...???

It's always hard to know what to do, as some boots while the same size internally are actually a different footprint size on the outside... And hitting that middle ground sucks...

I had that with K2 bindings when i 1st started, and could never get comfortable with either side of the spectrum, so switched bindings where i was bang in the middle of there size guide for 1, and it made a huge difference...

#4 · (Edited)
Best would be to check in the shop, if the 8.5 boot fits the M binding you intend to get.

I'm between the M/L binding sizes as well, (my shoes are usually size 8.) I've combined size 8 Burton and size 8.5 Ride boots, both with size M Burton bindings.

I rather have a binding at the smaller end than at the edge of being too big. Too big length wise means you loose leverage, ability to use the gas pedal, and in terms of wigth you may slip sideways.

#5 ·
Ok, I was originally leaning towards the L but after thinking about it I'm thinking try the M first. I can exchange for cost of return shipping so no big deal. I'm guessing they factor in a decent amount of play on either end to make sure they accommodate different brands and models.

I know my sons smalls technically start at a 4 but his 3s fit them no problem. I think they punch way more strap adjustment holes than the size range they specify.

And it seems it'll be easier to tell if it is too small as opposed to whether it's so large it may not be ideal.

#6 ·
That actually makes more sense when you think about it... Haha

Thank god for the internet eh... ;)

#7 ·
The straps won't be the problem. Potential problem could be that the boot heel doesn’t fit into the narrower heel cup. It needs a little squeeze to fit my 8.5 boot into my M Escapades.

As the footprint of the boot for this binding is at the most upper range, I fix the binding in the most front hole of the binding plate to position the binding a bit more to the heel edge. Works perfectly.

#8 ·
Ya, if I have to shoehorn it in then I'll return. Being 7 months away from actually using at least I can tell that up front as opposed to waiting and relying on a pretty much total beginner who won't know any better trying to decide on the slopes if she has too much play.

But now from a think too much about everything stand point I'm kinda thinking from a beginner point I don't want so snug that it becomes an effort for a beginner at the top of the lift to align things perfect to strap in.

#9 ·
Yes sure, if would take effort to get the boot into the binding then it certainly wouldn't be the right match. I don't say get the smaller at any cost :). Meant that a smaller that still fits is less harm than the bigger that is a tad too big. Too big binding ride bit dull: more effort needed to get the same response. Not optimal, also not for a beginner.

Give her a gift certificate for a local shop where she can try the boots n bindings when gear is out again next autumn and you can check the match. That would be the way I'd go.

#11 ·
Looks good. If possible, you could move the toe ramp one click more forward but it looks fine. Hope, she'll like it and most of all, that the boot fits her feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.