Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Winter Park Trip??? Help...
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
slyder
Veteran Member

Question 2014/15 Winter Park Trip??? Help...

Hey Gang,
Slow time of yr for most of us so I thought I'd do some mild investigating for a trip I wanted to take my boys on. Most of you know me, my kids and our abilities. I've always wanted to go and now the boys are at a point I think this would be a great trip for us. I'm not set on WP but I thought any mountain for us would be way more than we have ever ridden so why not here.

End of Feb one of the last 2 weeks, as Valentines Day weekend is a black out for specials per the website

I'm considering driving vs Amtrak
Driving: $400 in gas
Train : $441 + baggage fees (I'm guessing)
  • Drive: 15 hours ish Leave Fri midnight get there Sat early afternoon
  • Train: 22 hours Leave Fri early lunch get there sat early afternoon & 1.5 hr lay over in CHI

Both boys drive but weather and late night driving I'm not comfortable sleeping while one of them drives cross country in the winter mainly at night since we'd be leaving around midnight.

The train option is only slightly more expensive, way less hassle, arrive time is the same, departure is a tad different with a lay over and sleeping in coach. HELL I can't sleep in a car for shit anyway. Plus I have a sports car with snow tires, worried about weather....a car rental cost wise isn't an option for me.

How do I get from Fraser Amtrak station to resort/hotel, taxi or do the resorts have shuttle service?
Has anyone used Amtrak from Midwest or Chicago to Denver ish, what were your thoughts?

How about accommodations. I won't have a car so I want to be able to basically ski in/out or small walk to the hill. Grocery shopping to help save on food would be great, night life is not a concern as the boys are 18 & 17 (will be) Hot tub of course but what resort/hotel in CO doesn't have one.

I have not looked into package deals at WP yet I'm sure they have them. Does anyone know when the best time to book a package deal is? Summer, early spring, late fall?

Gear? We are set up for hard pack Midwest groomers and ice. Short boards lots of park riding. We have ridden in weather below zero so I think our clothing will be fine.
Will we be ok gear wise? Will I need to adjust stances for powder, since we have never truly ridden powder or in mountain terrain. Our highest elevation was 1200 feet, equivalent to your bunny hills !!!!

I'm sure I missed a ton of questions as I'm doing this over my morning coffee and on a whim here so I'm sure I'll have more questions at a later time

Any tips, recommendations, or general helpful info that you have, can share, or what-not would be great.

Last edited by slyder; 05-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote