Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Looking to upgrade Burton Custom to similar
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Krimson

Default Looking to upgrade Burton Custom to similar

Hey All,

I have been snowboarding (poorly) for many years and just recently moved out to the Rockies for work and have gotten really into it over the past season. I am slowly upgrading my gear since everything I have has either been freebees or cheap deals from friends. Because of that, I didn't get much say in anything, but hey it was better than renting.

Now this year I have progressed a lot, so I think it is time my equipment becomes suited for me. I have already ditched the old boots and got some DC Phase boots which actually fit me properly, size 10.5.

My board is an old 2000 Burton Custom 156 "Shaft" model equipped with some old Ride Preston bindings. I have really gotten used to this board over the season and can really start to manipulate it. I do the best going down blues, but have fun struggling down the blacks since I can quickly turn from one edge to the next to fight my way down the hill. I have no interest in the park, just having fun on the groomed runs or backside.

I started searching for boards, but am overwhelmed by the options and am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Should I keep the same size board since that is what I am used to? When I try some steep black diamonds, I would like to be able to quickly turn and stop, (then go, and stop and go...) But when I am on a blue I would like to carve it and feel good.
Should I get a wide board for my shoe size 10.5? How about the flex? I think the current board is 5/10.

I am going to upgrade the bindings for sure, but should I get a new board at the same time, or does it make a difference?

I am also not looking to drop a fortune on the new setup, but something that will be better than what I am currently riding and will make me feel better out there and let me maybe speed up.

Absolutely any suggestions are welcomed, no clue where to begin.
Krimson is offline   Reply With Quote