Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board Design - Explain SetBack in detail
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Big_Norwegian

Question Board Design - Explain SetBack in detail

Hi all!

I'm a Norwegian snowboarder/splitboarder who has become more and more design interested the past few years.

I would really appreciate if someone, in detail please, could explain to me how the setback on a snowboard is calculated. When I'm measuring the boards that I own it just seems to me that I didn't have this figured out

If you read the specs on a board and is says that it has zero set back, what does that really mean? Zero setback with respect to what?
-The waist of the board?
-The contact length?
-The full length?
-The weight distribution?

Let's say that the setback is calculated with respect to the waist of the board. My Lib-Tech Birdman 180, apparently, comes with 4" setback.
What does this really mean?
Let's say that 24" stance width is the middle inserts on each side:
Then the inserts (the center ones) would be placed 12" to each side of the waist if the Birdman came with zero setback.
If you then are going to give this board 4" setback, do you just move the inserts (both sets) 4" further back on the board?

That's what I thought companies meant when they listed a board to come with X" setback. But this doesn't seem to be correct when I consider my fleet of boards.
Is the term setback just a loose expression?

I'm hoping someone can explain this to me, as in-depth as possible please,
it would really be appreciated. I can explain, perhaps in a different thread, why I need to figure this out.
Big_Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote