Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Centered&Set back question

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  ETM 
#1 ·
Hi experts!
I'm getting a new board but I'm new to snowboards. Will I be able to have my bindings centred on a set back stance board??
Thanks in advance

#4 ·
It's directional twin.
This board actually:
http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/k2-bright-lite-review-and-buying-advice/
And I'm only 5"1 and getting this is size 138cm. Do you think it'll be possible to set the bindings centred?

Thanks in advance

#7 ·
Hmnnn,.. This thread confuses me. I myself would definitely defer to Argo & ETM as experienced "experts," but I'm a little confused about their opinion/advice concerning going ahead and riding with a centered stance on a set-back, directional twin?? :dunno:

I have a directional twin board. I tried to center the stance early on when I was first learning. I found it to be un-ridable like that. A board with a setback is usually designed to be ridden like that. Centering the stance changes the entire riding characteristics of the deck,.. No?

...also, Here's the link to the board you're considering. ...I believe that around here anyway, "The Good Ride" is Not considered particularly accurate or un-biased when it comes to rating a boards true performance! (...am I mistaken about The Good Ride's reputation for reviews & objectivity?)

You might want to check other sites to get a more objective review of that board & it's specs.

I will be interested to read the feedback on this myself! :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I have a directional twin board. I tried to center the stance early on when I was first learning. I found it to be un-ridable like that. A board with a setback is usually designed to be ridden like that. Centering the stance changes the entire riding characteristics of the deck,.. No?
"un-ridable" is a bit harsh isn't it? it might not be ideal but it is certainly doable. if anything I would say it's quite standard to start with a directional board and try different stances and what-not on that before buying something more specific.

#12 ·
As a complete beginner I would recommend being centred around the middle of the holes in the board. If the designers of the board wanted it to be used with an offset the holes will be set that way. Then you just need to find a stance width which works for you - I believe there are guides to help with this.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone please, so I don't give other people bad advice!!

#16 ·
I agree. The vast majority of riders, myself included are better off with a directional board. Everything in life is about trade-offs. A directional twin won't ride switch quite as well as a true twin, but a true twin won't track quite as well as a directional twin when ridden in the intended orientation. Which trade-off suits you best? Unless you ride a ton of switch or you're throwing tons of spins, I'd opt for sacrificing a bit in terms of riding switch to get a board that tracks better.

I've had true twins, directional twins, and straight up directional boards. For my riding style, I greatly prefer directionals and directional twins.

My recommendation for beginners is to almost always go with a relatively soft directional twin.

#14 ·
chomps, have you tried / had any success riding a true twin board centered? I'm asking because maybe it was just the stance that was not working for you, and not the board.

to get back on topic, the board mentionned sounds like it was designed to give the rider the option to go either centered or setback. it is flat cambered until past the bindings so there should be no problems what so ever. it actually sounds like a really nice board.

#15 ·
Wow thanks to all the replies. Very interesting opinions.
How different does it feel to have it set back? Started snowboarding two years ago but I always have centred true twin boards so I donno if I'll like the set back directional ones that's why I'm asking. But since It seems like there's no problem with setting them centred and the board is on sale I'll probably get it! Plus it's kinda hard to find a 138cm board that looks nice.

#17 · (Edited)
Wow thanks to all the replies. Very interesting opinions.
How different does it feel to have it set back? Started snowboarding two years ago but I always have centred true twin boards so I donno if I'll like the set back directional ones that's why I'm asking. But since It seems like there's no problem with setting them centred and the board is on sale I'll probably get it! Plus it's kinda hard to find a 138cm board that looks nice.
With a board that has a set back built into it,..? The point that I & others are making is, you probably won't notice the difference. You're stance will be "centered" within the inserts as part of the setback of the board That is how it was designed to ride. It will feel like riding a snowboard. :dunno: It will feel different when you get it switch. But it's not that big a deal unless your're a fairly inexperienced rider. Then it may give you some trouble initially.

As for your there being "no problem" with actually centering your stance in reference to the decks actual length? ie. removing/neutralizing any setback? No,.. there's no problem with that, in that you aren't going to ruin or break the board. It's just that it's not going to ride and perform as it was designed to. Unless you are an reasonably proficient boarder? You will likely find the ride to be,... I dunno, squirrelly? Strangely awkward. That's what we're saying.

However, it probably isn't going to hurt you any to try it out anyway. As I stated earlier,.. I did it and survived! :thumbsup: :D

chomps, have you tried / had any success riding a true twin board centered? I'm asking because maybe it was just the stance that was not working for you, and not the board.
I have two true twins. A,.. a-hhem, Never Sumer Proto 157, and a Rome Garage Rocker, 159. (...here it comes again people, sorry! ;) )

I learned to ride on the full Camber, set back, all mountain Arbor Roundhouse 163 W. ( this NooB got sold wide board, with a 10.5 boot! Not ideal!) I rode it exclusively for the first 1.5 seasons. I learned to ride it pretty proficiently switch. Altho, I needed to take a lesson to get it right. It wasn't the stance. It was that a setback board your running edges are different. The riding and turning characteristics are all different. There's less board up front and more behind you when your switch. The flex is all different. Etc. etc.

I just had to learn a few tricks and techniques to get it right. My instructor taught me well in that. I ride that board switch, with the setback, and I can do the blues around here (...not too impressive I will admit!) top to bottom, no problem.

On either of my Twins? I can spin them around and in n out of switch like MoFo! Easy-peasy!!! ;) :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Apologies if this is a bit off topic or a thread-jack, but it may also be of relevance:

How do you decide where a 'centered/default' stance is on a board with 10-pack inserts (5x2)? If there is no marking on the board telling you where the reference point is, which sets of inserts should you be using to get the 'recommended stance' (with the standard set-back, etc.).

#20 ·
....How do you decide where a 'centered/default' stance is on a board with 10-pack inserts (5x2)? If there is no marking on the board telling you where the reference point is, which sets of inserts should you be using to get the 'recommended stance' (with the standard set-back, etc.).
Hmnnn, all of my boards have a center mark for the inserts, but if they didn't?
I would take whatever width stance I wanted and just center it as close as possible to the entire insert pack. Count in or out, an even number for both bindings from the inserts to where you want your stance width.

I presume that the inserts will have any setback for the board already accounted for in their positioning and if you're centered within the inserts you are set back as intended. (...I imagine I will be sternly chastised by another member if I am totally wrong about that!) :D

#23 ·
I agree that the board should be ridden as a setback stance!!!!!

That's how the board was designed to be ridden!!!!!

* Obviously though, you can bolt ya binders back to back onto the same insert pack if ya wanna!!!!! There's nothin stopping ya from doin whatever ya want to do!!!!! Just don't expect it to work as it was intended!!!!!

#26 ·
What is going on here is another case of marketing bullshit confusing people.
If a board is twin shape but set back 3/4" all it means is the inserts are drilled 3/4" rearward. Nothing else.
If it has a 4x2 insert pattern you can set it one hole forward and ride it exactly like it would ride if it were "called" a true twin.
Flex pattern, camber profile blah blah that much difference in stance will not make any difference to how it rides.

#28 ·
Flex pattern, camber profile blah blah that much difference in stance will not make any difference to how it rides.
That's definitely not true of the C/R/C boards. Those boards suck to ride when you're not centered over that rocker in the middle. In my experience, it makes a much larger difference on that camber profile than any other. Traditional camber and R/C/R boards don't seem to be nearly as impacted.

#27 ·
If the board has 4x4 inserts you will end up too far forward though so watch out for that.
I agree with just riding it with 3/4" setback though., it wont hurt you at all any anyone who cant ride switch on a twin with 3/4" setback needs practise not a new board.

#32 ·
Yeah some boards are twin shape but setback stance.
"flex pattern" as its known is pretty much a product of core thickness x length.
Take a set of verniers and measure the core thickness every 2 inches along the board and see what you have. Lots of boards have a very basic taper in the core and really dont have directional flex at all, they may just throw a bit of carbon somewhere to stiffen up a certain area.

In short though half of what you read in tge tech specs of a board is just crap designed to confuse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.