Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question re ankle recovery
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
ryannorthcott

Default Question re ankle recovery

I am hoping to get some advice from those who have experienced the same thing as me, or a medical professional.

I had surgery on my ankle to repair a fractured fibula and displaced joint exactly 6 weeks ago today (original thread here with pics http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sla...d-another.html).
The surgery went well and to be honest I never felt any intense pain after the surgery, and the ankle has been completely pain free for the last 4 weeks. Over the last 2 weeks, swelling and coloration has gone back to normal and while i do experience minor swelling if i exert it, it looks like my normal foot again.
Now here is the problem, my surgeon said at my follow up appointment (3 wks ago) that he would see me in another 3 weeks, at which point we would begin walking exercises and physiotherapy to continue the recovery process. Problem? He is away on vacation until June 13, and is not able to squeeze me in until the 16th. I understand the need to adhere to his directions for a proper recovery, but on the other hand, I also want to get on with the next stage of recovery as every day i am not walking is costing me money foregone and other opportunities afforded to normally functioning bipeds.
What I am asking is has anyone been through my type of surgery, and what was your recovery? Did you listen to the doc or go it on your own? Ill effects?
I can say right now I am not going to be confined by crutches while I await my appointment. It's simply too long and I need to be back walking soon.
Upon testing the ankle around the house without the boot or crutches, it feels quite strong to me, it will swell up after about an hour or so, but it is very minor and goes away quickly. I feel like I am ready to begin walking again.

Thoughts?
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote