Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Question about Jobs at a ski resort

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  chomps1211 
#1 ·
I recently graduated from Mechanical Engineering technologist program, Id like to work at a ski resort this winter and was wondering if any types of jobs that would put these skills or prefer these types of skills exist on a ski resort for the maintenance department.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Yeah, washing dishes.
Pretty sure any engineering that is needed at a ski resort is well and truely taken care of by the time they open. So suck it up and do the work thats available.

Im moving to japan at start of next season and I just took a job as a general hand at a lodge, clearing snow, changing beds and washing up is probably what I will be doing but who cares, Ill get to ride all day.

#5 ·
Sanitation engineer, food service engineer, lift service loading engineer, lift scanning service engineer, photo engineer, custodial engineer, and I'm sure there's a few others you can slap on there.

Ski resorts employee more over educated under experienced people in just about every degree field on earth. As the quote goes started from the bottom now we here.

#9 ·
Ski resorts employee more over educated under experienced people in just about every degree field on earth. As the quote goes started from the bottom now we here.
too true. ive been working in rentals for 3 years sitting on just over $10/hr.. in our team of 9 rental techs we have:

- environmental science degree
- engineering degree
- philosophy degree
- sound technician degree
- millwright
- carpenter

a lot of these guys went through 3+ years of schooling and still sitting on minimum wage like me. nobody moves to the slopes to make money, they go to plain old shred.

#6 ·
If you aren't afraid to wrench on stuff and are competent, and will follow directions and have good people skills they can use you. The few people I have talked to loved it. Ask around town too though, I have heard of some opportunities there some places.

#8 ·
I would take a guess at resorts contractin their engineering requirements out to a local company of sorts?????

They'd most likely have a few fitters on hand for breakdowns and general maintenance though!!!!!

It'd most likely be in a cold, shitty environment too!!!!!

I'd rather be pourin beers in the night, and ridin durin the day!!!!!

#11 ·
yeah... i agree... you arent going to find anything that pays well there unless you somehow get into bed with like vail or boyne resorts... those are 2 of the major companies in the resort game... They're the only companies that i could even remotely think of that would need your skillset. Me? i work there for minimum wage to pay me electric bill for my apartment while im at school, and buy beer. oh... and the free pass is the shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.