Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Cascade volcanos keep the season going
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
ridinbend
Veteran Member

Default Cascade volcanos keep the season going

Since moving to Bend I have made two attempts to summit South Sister, both ending short of the summit due to my partner/s having issues. This year I was determined to get it. My partner this year for the endeavor was also determined to do it and so we set out to get our shred on. I'm not certain, but the total vert was around 5k with most of it being ridden. Our trip started at the Devils Lake trailhead. I left Bend around 3am and was on the trail shortly after 4.

The first 1.5 miles was a steep push that was done in shoes. After reaching the middle flat section it's another 1.5 mile skin to the next bit of climbing. While cruising along the flat I enjoyed the sun coming up and got excited for the rest of the day and the shredding.

The climb is a tough one, and upon reaching the top, you quickly learn it's a false summit with a short hike to the eastern side of the summit to enoy the views. Ironically, an hour after we left the summit, the Bend fire broke out filling the sky with dark smoke.

The ride down was insane, with the first section starting as perfect cascade corn turning into sticky shreddy mashed potato snow. It took 7hrs to climb and 3 to get down. Last mile we had to hike, and the beer could not come soon enough. It was a good day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1388.jpg (96.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1390.jpg (83.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1578.jpg (102.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1580.jpg (57.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1583.jpg (59.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1584.jpg (48.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (83.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.jpg (108.8 KB, 43 views)
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote