Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help buying snowboarding gear
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
zpedalkin

Default Help buying snowboarding gear

hey all,

I've had my first snowboarding season last year and I absolutely loved it. I rented all my gear then, but for this year thinking of getting my own.

Looking for some advice on the board, bindings and boots.

My 'stats':
60kg/132lbs,
163cm/5"4
beginner

looking for an all-rounder/all mountain board and bindings/boots to suit.

When I rented, they gave me a K2 150cm board. I wasn't sure of the model, looking through my gopro videos, it looked like this:

would've been nice to ID the board so I can look up how soft it was and its profile, but I realise from those pics its' probably not possible. I think it was a soft 'park' board.

I've done a bit of research and YES Basic 149 is at the top of my list at the moment. Do you think it would be OK to learn on? It has camber between the feet - do you think I'll have trouble turning? I do also want a board that will last me a while as I progress, if possible.

If this board is fine for me to go with, is anyone able to recommend bindings and boots to suit? I'm getting a little confused with the different stiffness levels and worried I will buy something that will not suit the board.

E.g. I saw a few recommendations for Burton Cartel, however from what I'm gathering it's on the 'stiff' side. As a beginner, is too stiff a binding going to cause problems? What about Burton Custom Re:Flex (Burton Custom Re Flex Review by The Good Ride) - is this a better option and will it suit the board?

Finally, my understanding is that the boot stiffness needs to match both the binding and the board, which leaves me a little lost.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated
zpedalkin is offline   Reply With Quote