Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - I just injured my knee... why?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Runway

Default I just injured my knee... why?

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Australia. I unfortunately just did my knee while hitting what was a very easy run down Mt Buller. Basically, I misjudged a rocky patch where my legs went one way but my body went the other - until I heard a 'pop' in my left knee. The pain hasn't been too intense (I'm off to the Doctor tomorrow) but it has left me wondering how I did it in the first place.

Forgive my ignorance here, but I thought when strapped into a snowboard that leg breaks and knee injuries were far less common given both feet a secured to the board and are facing a similar direction. I thought this was one of the key differences to skiing where legs and skis go off in alternate directions hence why skiers are more prone to knee injuries.

I've got a pair of entry level Burton Moto boots and I had considered for a while to replace them with something that was a little stiffer. As I was going down the mountain I could feel a lot of give in the boots and could feel my heel and toes move around. I understood that snowboard boots are supposed to be tight around the leg/ foot so that boarders can improve their sensitivity between the board and the snow. Is that true???

Even though it was totally my fault for doing my knee, I just can't helping thinking that my boots are partly to blame - and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience - particularly with this kind of injury.

Grateful for advice.

Runway.
Runway is offline   Reply With Quote