Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - K2 Lunatique vs Ride Compact vs Rome Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
whiterabbit421

Talking K2 Lunatique vs Ride Compact vs Rome Vinyl

Hi, I decided to step up from renting equipment and finally buy some of my own. I've been researching and have narrowed my options for boards down to three, but I can't decide which will be best for me and would appreciate some advice. I'm 5'5'' and 133 lbs. The rental company gave me boards based on height so I always thought I was a 145 but through research I've discovered my weight should be the larger determinent. I'm probably still considered a beginner but I'm picking up fast and I want a board that will grow with me so I don't have to repurchase as soon as I'm bored with my board.

Based on research, I've narrowed the boards down to the K2 Lunatique, the Ride Compact, and the Rome Vinyl. I'm leaning towards the Ride Compact because it's a twin and I like to ride switch as much as regular but I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer more than just a low rize rocker to avoid catching edges, particularly since I'm still new (also, the Compact has poor reviews on ice.)

Also, I'm confused by the difference between what the rental company gave me and what the spec sizes say on the board websites. According to Ride Compact, because I'm more than 125 lbs, I should ride a 150. The Vinyl sets me at 151, and I unfortunately can't find size specs for K2 Lunatique. That seems large; I would have guessed a 147 for myself per general size charts I'm finding but I wonder of the weight of the particular boards I'm looking at is why I'm hitting larger than 147.

Of the three, which is a better all-mountain snowboard for a 5'5", 133 lb girl still learning but advancing? And is a 150/151 insane or just right? I measured and this brings the board up to my nose.

Also, what is the best rear-entry binding? I've looked at Roxy Rock-Its, GNU B-Trues, and various Flows. Roxys seems to have the highest rating in reviews so far.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated, even up to recommending a better board or bindings!
whiterabbit421 is offline   Reply With Quote