Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gearing up for Big Sky.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nivek
Veteran Member

For a mountain like that I highly recommend Volcom. Their pants and powder skirts on their jackets zip together, most secure of any connection I've seen. I would just go with a shell of some sort, get a decent second layer and maybe an Airblaster Ninja suit. The polyester Volcom hoodies that most shops sell are great second layers, keep you warm and dry.

For gloves, most will do just fine. I find that durability is the most important component. The fact is, if you have the "warmest" gloves on the market but your core isnt toasty, your hands will probably be cold. All gloves do is keep the heat from espaping your hands, if your hands are cold, they'll stay cold. I rock pipe gloves all year, and this past winter at Breck we had some days in Dec/Jan where windchill put us a good deal below zero. The key is that my core was warm, so all that nice toasty blood warmed my hands, and my gloves didn't let that heat get away. The nice thing about that is I don't have to where those thick bulky gloves, I get to where something with some dexterity.

The key for all this is layers. The more individual layers you have the more adjustability you have. Keep your core warm and everything else will follow. You want something thin against your skin that wicks moisture, then another non-thick layer to keep that moisture moving, then a medium layer, like a longsleeve shirt, then your hoodie (or alternative second layer), then you shell. That would be for the coldest of days of course.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote