Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What transceiver do you use?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
I know the other brands have came a long way, (mostly by BCA's success) especially Ortovox. When I bought my BCA transceiver, I mentioned to the employee that my riding partner bought the Orto (older version), the first thing he said was to switch him transceivers when you go out, so he can find you.

We were practicing at my house, I found his in under 5 min, he walked around in circles for 20 minutes and NEVER found it, so I was dead

Not sure I agree with this. Seems like I've heard more issues with BCA than any other brand. I know my BCA was a piece of shit. It would just power itself off on it's on, even with batteries that were 90%+ according to the read out on the beacon. Ditched it and got an Ortovox 3+.

That older beacon was probably using older technology, maybe even analog. You had to really know what you were doing to use those things effectively. I've never even tried. I wouldn't be bragging about a 5 minute location time in ideal conditions. That's pretty damn slow.