Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Happiness? Off-season/snow-season + no mates
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Decade190

Default Happiness? Off-season/snow-season + no mates

Hey guys,
Bit of a deep thread here and I apologise but could do with some advice/perspective from like-minded people!

So basically, I'm 23 and work a very demanding job in north England with very little free time. I absolutely love anything standing sideways and moving fast (snowboard, wakeboard, skateboard, surfing).

Problem is there is very little scope to do any of these sports anywhere in my area. The only possibility is skateboarding... however I have no mates who are into board sports. I'd therefore have to go to skateparks alone which sucks (I'm crap at skateboarding otherwise would just go and crack on). I also find that skateboarding at my age is generally more frowned upon than snowboard/surfing/wakeboarding for some reason.

Basically I feel pretty shitty about life and feel like I need to "Live a little" (however cliché that may sound). All I do is work, eat, repeat to be honest and it's miserable.

So... What are your guys thoughts on packing it all in and going out for a snow season? I have no one to go with and limited finances. How much money do I realistically need and how's best to find some buddies?
I could potentially work up until December and save some ££ and then go out and board every day... but I wouldn't meet anyone at work or anything.

Alternatively, any suggestions on how to get my boarding fix whilst stuck in gloomy England? Nearest indoor slope is several hours away and I don't finish work in time to make any freestyle nights. No cable wakeboard or anything either. Think my main issue is no like-minded mates so I end up going surfing/wakeboarding alone if I can actually go.

TLDR No boarding mates. Heavy job (8am-7pm minimum). I'm sad

Thanks for reading my dribbling inner monologue. Appreciated