Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

383K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#115 ·
yea I had a 330ci this was definitely fun about the car, however it got really annoying when I would try to go up hills sometimes and the DSC would kick in and the rear wheels would stutter and stutter...then turn it off and it would only spin:dunno:....but it was one of the funnest cars I've had

One time on an exit ramp from parking gargage I slid back and almost "forward ended" a Range Rover:eek:

#123 ·
Sno, slight misunderstanding lol, I was referring to the tires spinning, not sliding when you brake....you know those people in a 4WD who get stuck barely then floor it and now all four wheels are spinning and the truck starts floating sideways haha...

bad choice of words on my part...it'll never happen again HAHAHA :cheeky4:

G
#134 ·
My '98 Outback has never let me down. Snow and ice are easy, the most challenging thing I've ever taken it on is that weird ass oil clay shit in Southeast Utah on backpacking trips. Anyone know what I'm talking about? In canyon country, the roads are made of this shit that gets slicker than solid ice when it rains, so even with 4wd you're basically drifting side to side and looking down a 1,000 ft drop off on one side. Gnarly.

AWD obviously isn't as nice as 4WD, but with a good driver, AWD and a bit of ground clearance is good enough to go anywhere that I need to go for snowboarding. Probably the worst thing about my car is that I always get stuck driving because all of my buddies have fucking sissy ass wannabe race-cars with 2 inches of clearance that puss out on the snow and ice.

G
#138 ·
When are you going? And where in NM are you going?

You'd be surprised. Most of the time the roads are clear and it is sunny and nice, but man, you see some gnarly shit some days. There's obviously really no way you can know very far in advance what the road conditions will be like (like, far enough out to plan a trip around it), so you'll just have to jump in, but if you find yourself in some hairy shit definitely take it easy. In the mountains of Northern NM I've seen pretty rough days where there are cars in the ditch every few miles. In general, most people get a set of chains to put on if they need them, also a big bag of sand or kitty litter in case you get stuck and need some extra traction. A little shovel is sometimes helpful too.

Hope that helps and I hope you have a good trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.