Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The affect of rider weight on boot flex
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
lilfoot1598
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The affect of rider weight on boot flex

I know that boot flex should be determined by riding style, but I'm also wondering how much a rider's weight determines the flex of boot he or she should consider. A salesperson recently told me that a mid-flex boot will feel much stiffer to a light rider than it will to a heavier rider and I'm wondering how true that is. For example, should a freestyle rider who weighs 150 pounds generally look for a softer boot than a freestyle rider who weighs 200 pounds?

I currently have Burton Casas (very low-end), which are a stiffness of 2 on a 10-point scale. Since they are too big, I am looking to replace them but I'm not sure what stiffness I should be looking for. I will never be a seriously aggressive rider, but I do like a little bit of everything: trees, powder, groomers, ground tricks, small jumps. No rails or jibs for me. I am a small woman at 5'0'' and 105 pounds. I need a size 4 boot, which NOBODY stocks, so I will not be trying on boots before I buy. I am currently tracking down all boots that are actually produced in my size and then I'd like to narrow my choices down by stiffness and quality before I launch a full-scale search mission for the perfect boot.

On a scale of 1-10, I'm thinking a 3-5 is a good fit. Unless scales are useless, in which case I'm just screwed all around.

Suggestions?