Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Returning boarder seeking advice (with special concerns)
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
kc0716

Default Returning boarder seeking advice (with special concerns)

Hello folks! I'm a returning snowboarder from a 2 year break due to financial/personal reasons..now that the Snowboard Convention is in town, I would like to replace my old gear.

Here is my old equipment which I purchased from the Ski/Board Convention @ the LA Convention Center (aka Skidazzle)

Very basic stuff I got as a combo for cheap at the ski convention..I think maybe it was $200. Rossignol District 165 and some very basic Burton strap-on bindings...

My concern is this...when I used to ride, I noticed that a lot of time I would fall/slide/slip when I'm on my toe-side. I thought nothing of it at first and just thought I needed more practice..But my friends looked at how my boots were sticking out of the board so much and said that might be the problem why I'm not improving as fast..so I come here for advice.

Here is what it looks like with the boots on.

My boots are size 14 (U.S. Size..about 13.5 inches when measured on the bottom with a ruler) and the part that sticks out is 2 inches...my friends recommended that I get a "Wide" board..

At Skidazzle, they have 2 sections, one with vendors selling good/new stuff, and other a warehouse-ish section with hundreds of boots/binds/boards/accessories that are maybe 1 or 2 seasons older models (not used), sold by the Skidazzle staff..I plan on buying it from the warehouse section but it has no-return/exchange policy so I want to go in prepared on what I need to buy.

I am 6 ft tall, 200 lbs. I'm thinking about buying a wide freestyle board, that is not as heavy as my RS District 165..so I'll probably aim for 161..because my 165 is just sooo damn heavy to carry around. I also need some bindings that is big enough to fit my boots. My total price range for both bindings/board is about $300~$350..but at the section of the convention I'm going to, they sell it really cheap because some are models from previous seasons..

For example my friend picked up ride binding/lamar board combo for $200 + tax.

2 inches of boots sticking out of the board is not acceptable at all right? If anyone can shed some light on this for me, that'd be so much appreciated..I want to go into the convention prepared to know what size/measurements/type/brand I should be buying..thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by kc0716; 11-01-2009 at 05:40 AM.