Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Ride Protopipe

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  timmytard 
G
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
Has anyone heard of the Ride Protopipe board? It was a board conceived a bunch of years ago... Maybe pushing 5 now made specifically for riding pipe. It's pretty cool. The tips of the board are split in the middle and they claim the construction gets you 6ft more air. I'm a skeptic, but I haven't taken it out yet... It's just being displayed on my wall right now.....

G
#3 ·
haha that would mean i'd need to take a picture of it and post it. maybe i'll do that when i'm more motivated, but i assume that you haven't heard about it if you need a picture. its sweet, i'll try and post it soon

#6 · (Edited)
Ok! This has got to be a winner for the all time zombie thread award. And not just because it's a 6 year old thread either.

What are the odds that some one would show up in a six year old thread to post pictures of a board,.. (Which by the sound of it was 4/5 years old in 2008!) :eek:
And yet someone posted pictures for a deck that the OP was too lazy to do all those years ago, and those pics, compelled another veteran member to comment on them. And it's not like nivek's a newb member! He's a long time vet around here, not someone likely to inadvertently miss or get lured unsuspecting, into a zombie thread like this.

To top it all off, the subject and tech on that old board? It seems to be relevant to a newer, 2015 deck employing similar features.

Like I said, it would appear to be truly an award worthy Zombie thread this one, eh? :lol:

#8 ·
Haha. Well, it's not something I usually do first either. Not unless something about the thread just screams "old" or odd. Then I'll look a little closer at the thread detaiis, the players, etc. I just thought it was interesting that such an old thread was resurrected the way it was. (…guess I just figured you "old hands" wouldn't make the same mistakes as I would.) ;) LoL

Would you happen to know if that unusual "split tip/tail" feature is something that's been around all this time (…only maybe not all that mainstream or well known.) Or, like this thread,.. did it die out way back when only to be "re-invented" now for that Alter Ego deck you mentioned?

It is really interesting to me,.. having zero knowledge of past boards and tech. To see just how true it is when you or BA or Shred & others who have been riding a long time, point out that "Nothing's" really new in snowboards!! :dunno:

#9 ·
I guess youncould say its been around as it existed in this board in 2008. A lot of stuff gets tried and bemchex due to lack of manufacturing capabilities or construction constaints. Rocker was tried multiple times before it really caught on in '06. Channel the same. Forum and Capita both tried channel inserts. Tech wasnt there yet so they didnt last. In this particular case it was more the tech and its application. The split doesnt make too much sense on a pipe deck honestly and that's not the type of boards that sell anyhow. They discovered it rode awesome in pow, have split clips readily available, and pow all mountain decks are the new hotness.

The reality that there is very little left to be tried in snowboard designs is in part due to manufacturing contraints and that a snowboard has to have a set of certain characteristics to function as needed and there is only so much you can change within those rules. In my opinion boots and bindings is where we'll start to see more creativity in the next 5 years. Board shapes will have another fun couple of years, but we'll eventually get over the novelty of riding something funky shaped just cause it feels different. The area for most growth in shaping is still Asym though.

#11 ·
:laugh: My heart go out to him! :sarcasm: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.