Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Park Etiquette

124K views 150 replies 76 participants last post by  ridethecliche 
G
#1 ·
I looked to see if I could find a thread dedicated to this but could not find one so I wanted to ask. As a newcomer to snowboarding and as one who ultimately hopes to spend a lot of time in the park, what are some things I should know so as not to piss people off or worse yet, hurt someone or myself? What is considered basic park etiquette?

G
#37 ·
I think my biggest pet peeve is the new generation of kids who have no respect. one place here has a slow handle tow, it sucks, because it takes forever for your turn to come, but then kids just cut in front of you, and if you want to make sure you get up the hill, you have to crowd in and then they run your board over. I had just gotten a new board and it is all nicked up now because they don't understand how to form a line and wait.

G
#39 ·
it was at elm creek park. its a got a lot of fun stuff and its only $15. I went to welch a few times last year and wasn't into their set up that much. I mainly ride at hyland and buck, afton has some fun stuff too, I have been meaning to get up to spirit, but my schedule hasn't allowed this yet.

#40 ·
My problem is with the hecklers, people are out riding the park to advance their skills and improve their riding but most importantly to have fun and at my park, there is at least one group if kids there to just make fun of people who bail. Im 19 years old, I rode for two seasons when I was 13 and 14 and picked up snowboarding again this season late January and consider myself a good rider, no prodigy but good enough to blend in and hold my own with most of the guys at my park and if I, or anyone else I see on the hill bails or lands sloppy on any trick, there is at least one kid, or person my age, which is sad, that is there to point and laugh. Not that I care, but there is nothing that bothers me more on the park than people who dont respect other peoples effort and safety. Its one thing to avoid looking out for other peoples well being on the park, but its an entirely different thing to make fun of somebody for trying.

#41 ·
Amen to that, Meckel. Coming from the east coast (Ontario), I can totally relate. There are a lot of bad attitudes in the park and dudes just trying to show each other up instead of focusing on their own riding. I find that out west though, there is much less of this attitude. It also seems like people out west don't jib quite as much, and are more air-dogs. But yeah nothing worse than bailing and hurting yourself, only to hear some jackass laughing out loud at you.

#43 ·
yea but your buddies dont do it to be condescending, its one thing for it to be playful laughter but its different when some spoiled little rich kid on skis laughs at you for trying something new. Not that it hurts my feelings if I ever biff and get laughed at by some snotty little kids it frustrates me a little, even if I'm laughing at myslef at the same time.

#45 ·
oh MAN!!! That is a great example of how to get your ass kicked in the park. If that happened to me, and I got injured as a result of someone fucking me over and chilling out in the landings, it would be the worst way to go out. Its one thing to smash yourself up, but when its the fault of someone else it really grinds my gears.

#46 ·
just look out for those annoying skiiers. they love to go side to side the whole width of the trail. and if u have 50 of them at the same time, then things get physical haha
dont go down black diamonds if ur too slow and look before you turn. dont bite off more than u can chew pretty much. stick to ur own level and dont ruin the fun for others

#48 ·
Yeah this is the thing that annoys me the most. these little skiers think they can ride these very advanced hills and then all they do is pizza or w/e all the way down the hill from side to side.

Please, if you aren't at an advanced level do not try to go down these runs! leave them for people that are at that level.

G
#47 ·
another rule is that jumps infront of rails and boxes are to get onto boxes and rails!!!! not to hit the side and do your gay little tricks. i see the sides of jumps get wrecked all the time due to this. If you want to get air hit the jumps, kickers and table tops made for that.

G
#49 ·
Hey,

First season actually trying to do some stuff in the park, normally just tried to avoid it.

Been good learning on the rails and boxes and getting used to a few of the jumps,
Quick question which I was unsure about, the size of jumps? how are they measured? like when someone says its a 30ft jump does that mean the whole jump including ramps is 30ft or the jap jumped is 30ft?

Thanks,

G
#52 ·
When i was last in the park some kid would have been about 6? absolutely fucked himself off a jump, and was just lying there, so i quickly put my board right in the middle for everyone to see and stood there until people uphill knew not to jump it, I was just about to go and check on the kid when some fuck wit of a skier decides he wants to jump it, im on the lip pointing and yelling to go around as the kid was right in the landing zone, but no he still does the jump. I felt like grabbing his legs as he went past me:mad:

G
#54 ·
never snake. but if you have to, call it out. Ex: gaper kid is going way too slow to the lip and you're coming in hot, wait til u get right next to him and scream "SNAKES!" right in his face. This will detour him and give you the right-of-way to the feature.

#55 ·
i think as long as you respect other riders and keep a watchful eye of your surroundings you'll be okay
the worst thing ive experienced was last year. me and a buddy stashed a couple beers off the main trail up on a hill, and both of us crashed pretty hard on the upper part of the mountain so we hit up the run that took us to the beer and sat down. as soon as we crack the cans open, some dude comes flying off the trail and he's headed straight for us. the dude must have been a newb cause he had 50 feet to make a decision but he decided to go straight and try and stop( we are direcly downhill from him). he ends up slamming into my buddies back board first and it pretty much ruined the whole trip for him.nothing pisses me off more than disrespectful riders! he didnt even say sorry

G
#57 ·
DO NOT go through the park unless you're gonna actually hit the jumps. You're just taking up space if you're just ridin' through.
I see what you're saying, but I feel that I should point out that this is a pretty irresponsible statement. I think it is pretty standard for people to cruise through a park that they have never been through once to just check out all the features. Riding through over and over with no intention of hitting anything is stupid and you will be in the way, but there's nothing wrong with a quick once-over to scope out the features and landings, so long as you stay moving, call your drops, put a safe distance between you and everyone else, and generally be safe and respect everyone else there. This is standard procedure for every safety tip list I've ever read, and I know that a lot of instructors specifically tell people to cruise through the park once before trying anything big.

I don't like it when kids just hang out in the way any more than anyone else, but if you're mowing down kids just to be an asshole then you're not helping either.

#60 ·
Hopefully I can add something here. I know I'm new to this site. But I used to help design and maintain parks (Winter Park) and worked very closely with ski patrol (along with doing their end of day sweeps).

If you have friends who are just learning have them watch from the side, DO NOT LET THEM go into the park if they do not have the ability to manuveur around the jumps, rails, etc. Worst injury I've every seen (well aside from someone dieing; was this situation).

If a jump or obstacle is blocked off (board or poles crossing off the front) go around. Don't test the park crews, nothing pisses them off more and they CAN get your passes pulled or do it themselves. You never know why the item is blocked.

If you're gonna duck a rope into the park (which you shouldn't) stop before going under and wait til the it's clear.

If someone is hurt or potentially hurt...GET PATROL. Do not try to tell them they're ok or move them. Getting patrol and guiding the riders above out of the way is the best thing you can do for them.

On jumps with multiple angles do not be afraid to be the one to back off if someone doesn't see you. The jump will still be there on your next run through the park. It's not worth risking the collision.

And as said above always, always take a recon lap. You never know what's changed.

G
#62 ·
dont talk shit if you cant back it up.
dont laugh if you can land the trick
get off the landing when you fall unless your actually hurt
if your going to snake sum1 dont fall or be prepared to get hit
dont stand in the way
if your going to stand on a table stand closer to the lip then the knuckle
have enough speed for the jump

#69 ·
there use to be kids like that at my high school before i graduated. the first time i ever went snowboarding was with the ski club and there were a couple "older" kids who made fun of me and my friend for not knowing how to snowboard even though we've never done it. saw a couple of them randomly at mt snow last season and i was throwin 720s over the 65 footers and needless to say they were stunned.

#70 ·
hahahaha, thats funny. thats a "bitch, please!":cheeky4: moment. im joining my ski club this winter and i hope to show all those douches that i can back up what i say, lol :cheeky4::laugh:

#73 ·
yeah, i was at pico last year talking to a guy and he said it was the best thing ever.

on an unrelated note,
richard, are you going to tell me your username on the forum now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.