Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Board Locks

8K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  andrew_schenk 
G
#1 ·
Reading the thread about boards getting stolen has gotten me paranoid. Well anyways, this is my first set-up I've owned and it cost serious money so I don't want it stolen. Any recommendations for good board locks :dunno:

#3 · (Edited)
I always have a retractable cable lock with me. It wouldn't be hard to cut but it will keep the honest thief away.

#6 ·
alaric said:
Slaughter, how's carrying that thing around? It looks like a beast.
It does look big, but it coils up very easily and it really light. I just toss it into my coat pocket or if I'm just rocking a T or a hoody, the in my pant pocket. It isn't bulky so it doesn't bulge and I can lock 3 boards with it. This is in comparison to both the Bakoda and Burton retracting locks which are OK in a pinch but I would not put a lot of faith into them. The cool thing about the Python lock is the braided steel cable which is actually a real cunt to try and cut with bolt cutters compared to a chain.

#7 ·
Slaughterhouse said:
A Python lock from RC. And if you have an exposed insert available, combine the Python lock with a lock station. That board will stay put. RC Power Sport

I like the looks of that setup. Might have to put that on my Christmas list.

#8 ·
Slaughterhouse said:
It does look big, but it coils up very easily and it really light. I just toss it into my coat pocket or if I'm just rocking a T or a hoody, the in my pant pocket. It isn't bulky so it doesn't bulge and I can lock 3 boards with it. This is in comparison to both the Bakoda and Burton retracting locks which are OK in a pinch but I would not put a lot of faith into them. The cool thing about the Python lock is the braided steel cable which is actually a real cunt to try and cut with bolt cutters compared to a chain.

Okay cool. How much does it, along with the lock station, go for? I may buy one

#10 ·
If you live in Canada, they sell them at Sportchek. The Python lock is $15.99 and the Lock Station is $5.99

#11 ·
Grimdog said:
If you live in Canada, they sell them at Sportchek. The Python lock is $15.99 and the Lock Station is $5.99
Yep, that sounds about right. But keep in mind that to use the lock station you need to have a binding insert exposed. Unfortunately I don't on my new board so I can't use the lock station. Regardless, the Python lock can still be used the same as a conventional lock of course.

G
#26 ·
does anyone know how to get this lock in the states?

i use to have something very similar to this lock. it was called the kryptonite ball and chain. i lost it recently and it looks like kryptonite doesn't make this anymore.

G
#12 ·
locks are for honest people... if someones wants to steal something they probably will or at least try to. that being said someone that's going to steal a snowboard or skiis from a hill are going to want to do it quickly so, if it's locked they'll likely go on to the next board that's not locked so they can just take it and go.

buy a lock, ride with it and use it when you're not riding. A lot of the retractable cable locks for snowboards are pretty much the same as any other retactable cable lock you can get.

#13 ·
Slaughterhouse said:
Yep, that sounds about right. But keep in mind that to use the lock station you need to have a binding insert exposed. Unfortunately I don't on my new board so I can't use the lock station. Regardless, the Python lock can still be used the same as a conventional lock of course.
That's a good point. My Forum board has the I-lock system on it so the lock station will not work on that board but the python cable will still do the trick.

#15 ·
romesaz said:
pardon my ignorance, I've got a Forum board, but I'm not sure what this, I-Lock system you speak of, is.
Thanks in advance for the clarification :D
I-lock is a slider insert system to have a great number of stance widths available to the user. You are not restricted to use a pre-drilled insert pattern.

View attachment 172

#16 ·
it is so unlike me to entertain potty lingo but....

whenever i see the title of this thread, i keep thinking someone has found another, elaborate way to spell 'bollocks'.

that is about all i have to contribute to this discussion.

you're welcome! :D

#17 ·
PaoloSmythe said:
it is so unlike me to entertain potty lingo but....

whenever i see the title of this thread, i keep thinking someone has found another, elaborate way to spell 'bollocks'.

that is about all i have to contribute to this discussion.

you're welcome! :D
Geared more towards the European contingent.:D :D

#19 ·
most thieves i have known are purely oppourtunistic.

the best defence against ALL forms of street crime; ie robbery, mugging, assault.... is to suggest in the minds of the ne'er do well, is that the next person / object will be easier for them to deal with.

you don't have to be invincible, just not the weakest.

(altho the best option of all, is to be invisible)

G
#20 ·
PaoloSmythe said:
most thieves i have known are purely oppourtunistic.

the best defence against ALL forms of street crime; ie robbery, mugging, assault.... is to suggest in the minds of the ne'er do well, is that the next person / object will be easier for them to deal with.

you don't have to be invincible, just not the weakest.

(altho the best option of all, is to be invisible)
Damn...if only I could be invincible...

G
#38 ·
Thieves have to be pretty gutsy to stand there with cutters!...

There are locks out there that don't work well and locks that do work well. The downside to having a SkiKey is, like you said, if no racks exist at a ski resort to accommodate these types of locks. But retractable locks such as an RC lockhave quite a thick cable and are in no way less effective than SkiKey locks. They are way more versatile, intimidating, not only for skis, snowboards, but perhaps mountain bikes, bikes and anything else needing temporary lock-up where there are large crowds of people or large amounts of stuff being locked up. Why would anyone want to carry around a small key and possibly lose it, when all you need with a retractor lock is a 3-digit combo in your memory which i think most people are capable of doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.