Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

383K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#196 ·
As a temporary resident in Canada I didn’t want to spend a packet on a car so I bought a 91 dodge caravan. Set of winter tires and it goes like a dream. Heater can't quite keep up when its -40 but what can you do. On road trips I have 5 in the car and take out the middle row of seats. Very much like business class! Is really good in heavy snow conditions which is suprising.

G
#198 · (Edited)
well last yearr this is what i used to get to the hills and surprisingly it did very well in the snow, i took it threw some shit before lol but i sold it to look for something a little bigger with more room and with 4x4 this yearr,
2004 tiburon GTV6 special edition yellow

#200 ·
1st pic: My old ride, 2000 Toyota 4runner SR5 4wd w/ Firestone Destination All-seasons this car was PERFECT in snow, only sold it because of mpg (14/18)

2nd Pic: My Buddy's Subaru WRX STI This car is dope and he still has it, I would have one myself if it werent for the ridiculous cost of insuring them. Still, an absolutely beautiful vehicle to drive, own, and blast around in the snow with

3rd pic: Proof that no matter what car/tires/drivetrain you're running on, sometimes mother natures just gonna win flat out; Both cars in our rented cabin's driveway in Mammoth Lakes, CA 2009:laugh:

:laugh: :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

#206 · (Edited)
when you are ready I would take VW over Audi any day unless you are buying from the snowroom in that case You're fine. My dad is a mechanic for 40 yrs and I literally know/heard of every problem cars have. Audi's are nothing but a headache trust me on that...Once you have one little electrical problem, its like a snowball affect and things just start not working randomly. It's a shame b/c audi's are gorgeous, one the best looking cars out there.

I mean you can always get lucky, and score one that doesn't give you problems but its unlikely. I've known 6 ppl with audis, all of them sold the car w/in a year and bought either sti's, evos, or benz.

My friend had a 2 yr old audi a4, 6 mnths after he bought it, the window wouldn't work...then we're driving IN THE RAIN and the wipers stop working HAHAHAH :LAUGH: german cars are the best (I'm a die hard BMW fan) but they will put your wallet, and patience to the test.

#207 ·
I would love to argue his point considering I own an 2000 Audi A6 but he is right. Thank god for extended warranties because mine has saved me thousands of dollars. Luckily I have had no major mechanical problems but even the small ones (windshield wiper arm malfunctioning) can cost a lot of money ($850).:eek:

#211 ·
Thats weird that you say that considering AUDI and VW are the EXACT. SAME. COMPANY.
You are aware of this correct? That Audi is simply VW's luxury division, ie. Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti
And VWs are generally stricken by the same problems as Audis? VWs absolutely suck for maintenance, and many people would rate them much worse than AUDIs, so to everyone considering buying them, keep that in mind

#215 · (Edited)
you are not correct.
I am 100% correct and before you embarass yourself further do a quick google search. Same company. That is not debatable, it is fact.

Go to any VW or AUDI dealership and they will tell you the same. Or heck, just check out the second line in Audi's wikipedia entry:

Audi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, sorry to embarrass you like that

#216 · (Edited)
I am 100% correct and before you embarass yourself further do a quick google search. Same company. That is not debatable, it is fact.

Go to any VW or AUDI dealership and they will tell you the same. Or heck, just check out the second line in Audi's wikipedia entry:

Audi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, sorry to embarrass you like that
And snowboardspaz, I take it you are a young guy, so I have a feeling that you wouldn't want, and probably couldn't shell out hundreds and hundreds at a clip to your car just to keep it on the road god forbid you had to. If you get a german car, get it w/ a warranty/maintence plan..the monthly payment will be more but in teh long run you save $$ b/c ur not getting wacked when the car has a mind of its own

Yes you are correct same company however taking a look at V dubs track record vs. Audi's as far as reliabilty the VW is more reliable....

and yes I owned a few BMW's in my time and the last one was funny as hell. Moonroof gets stuck only 3/4's closed.

Me: Moonroof won't close all the way..comp thinks its closed its not.

BMW: no worries that's an easy fix we just have to reset the comp

Me: ok I'll bring it in now.

BMW: Ok, it will take three days

and like someone said earlier thank god for the SICKKKK MAINTENCE plan BMW has b/c it would have cost 750 to reset the comp hahahha!!

IMO Germans make some of the best cars on the road, and I would take a BMW over anything anyday, but for some reason electronically they are shady...

It just is what it is.

#209 ·
i know conway, they are awesome. only reason i'm looking away from the outback is because they hold TOO MUCH of their value. i need heated/leather seats, and if i want a subie with that for 8k, its going to have, like, 150k on it. i was thinking of getting a v-dub off lease, but idk now because the honda pilot is BIG, yet the mileage sucks.

G
#221 ·
...VW and Audi are NOT the same thing. Car companies barely share tech intra model.
obviously, there are rules and exceptions to rules but, in the case of audi and vw, there's
a great deal of common technology across the various platforms.
for example, i have a 1999 audi a4 which is based on the vw b5
platform which is shared with the passat from the same years.
they're basically the same car...

alasdair

#222 ·
Good Job snowboardspaz, didn't know so much of the forum was so passionate about audi's and V dubs :laugh:

and Fluid, I'm jealous of that truck lol, I looked for something along those lines afte I got rid of the BMW couldn't find anything worth the buy, settled on the altima b/c it was a steal, and then found an explorer a month later for only 2 grand from an older member of society...sucked haha

#231 · (Edited)
I won't argue looks... though I think my GTI is beautiful, the rest of the VW line IS pretty lame. I don't particularly like anything that Audi makes. Aside from the nifty headlights, they are uninspiring.

Also, I think your reliability impressions are dated. Both Audi and particularly VW have improved greatly in the past few years. The impression that reliability suddenly tanks after 50/60K is simply because that is when warranty ends and people have to start footing the bill. If it ended and 30K or 100K people would say the same.

Either way, I opted for the 100K as I've had the "pleasure" of maintaining an out of warranty Saab.

#234 ·
Well, google is literally on point with their timing. I thought I would make it 6 not the 7.5hrs they said but the last 40 miles is a one lane "cut-through town" road so you go from 55 to 35 constantly, which constitutes the extra time it takes.

I Drove to the Berkshires first (had to take care of something there) then from the Berkshires to Base lodge was 4 hrs and 48 minutes.
From my house to the Berkshires was about an hour and a 45. So google was on point.
I'll tell you one thing though, the drive was not as bad as I thought. It is just such a beautiful drive that you forget how long you are on the road for.
We all definitely have to do a 3 day weekend there this season. They have 8 Peaks!!!

#241 ·
Bottom line....you should subscribe to Consumer Reports..... I don't think anyone said they were as reliable as toyota / sub.....that doesn't mean they are "horrible".

Removing these graphics in a couple min....fyi

Hey, cute pics :thumbsup::laugh:
Thats great how you showed a graph stating all below average or just plain bad for 6-8 years, and then good for the last two, which illustrates that if you buy a new VW you're probably ok for the first two years/12-24,000 miles... HOORAY!

These cars are horrible options because other vehicles in the same(or less) price range give you so much more in terms of reliability, cost-of-ownership, retaining value, and a thousand other things. If your choices were between the Flinstones car, a horse-and-carriage, or a Jetta, the Jetta would be the obvious choice. But when we have the options we do, buying a VW is close to retarded.

Whatever, you've heard a ton of people on this thread vouch for how bad these cars are mechanically, and any mechanic or person whos owned a Vdub for a couple of years will tell you the same, but whatever its your money and life do what you want. I'll still gladly pull my Subaru Impreza 2.5rs to the side of the road to help you when your 6-month old VW Touareg completely shuts down for no apparent reason in the middle of a snowstorm(like my buddy and I did last winter in Flagstaff,AZ for a stranded mom w/ her 2 young daughters in that exact predicament). Just my 2 cents, she probably would've been better off if she'd driven past the VW dealership 6 months before that day...

WHatev, I'm over this, have fun in your Jettas LOL
Lets get back to showing off our whips:thumbsup:;)

#243 ·
comeback seriously this is crazy you've posted 15 posts 90% of which are arguing this point I thnk this topic is dead :laugh: Not a great way to welcome yourself to the forum.

and second off I wasn't arguing w/ ya at any point in this thread, I stayed nuetral and stated information I felt was relevant. BACK OFF. Period :)

we all have opinions here and can discuss them without taking it to a level too far. I feel this topic is hanging on a cliff...just my opinion

oh and for the record "cowboy kid" I never claimed that simply b/c one company has been around longer than another that means that they have a better product as your VW and SCOOBY example states. Seriously don't be a pompous ass just chill. I said that how long a company has been doing business HAS A BEARING on their product. It's common sense. I never said that the length of time dictates with a garauntee a superior product over a younger competitor

Twisting people's words to your favor is kinda like lame dude.. FAIL

#258 ·
Backtracking on your words like JBlaze=FAIL
JBlaze Don't debate if u start name-calling as soon as you start to lose, nobody likes a douchebag bro. Nobody twisted your words, they just embarrassed you with them. You said what you said, I mentioned correlation/causation(google it, or go to college) and I disproved everything you said and you could not handle it. Oh, and definitely learn how to spell "guarantee"(HINT: It's not "garauntee").
JBlaze=FAIL

G
#244 ·
ComeBack_Kid, we get it - you personally do not like audi and vw cars... :\

why the snotty attitude? we're discussing a difference of opinion. the fact that you can't do that in a civil manner, does the entire discussion a disservice.

alasdair

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.