Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

384K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#514 ·
Just picked this up for trips to the hill. '95 Pathfinder, little rough around the edges, and needs a few things to be tip top. Interior is a fucking pig sty lol but not ripped up and dash is good. Runs and drives great stole it for 650 :) I was posting in the DIY thread the other day, and thought it's been a real long time since I had a toy/project. I wanted something that was more comfortable then my work trucks.

#516 · (Edited)
03 350z, have yet to drive it in actual snow. bear was clear the last time i drove it up there. can fit one other person and 2 boards inside it.

we had a ton of snow when we went up in my friends 08 Rav4 4x4, thing made that mountain its bitch. there was a 4x4 f250 with an 8" lift and at least 35" tires that couldnt get traction. we were just crawlin up behind him

#548 ·
Nice Whip. I sold my 04 350z a few months ago and got myself an 04 subaru wrx. Im curious to see how your car will fare when the big storms hit. I drove my 350z once last year to my local hill when the roads were dry. After that, i parked it up when it started to snow more.

I tried driving my 350z once with snow on the ground... lets just say... that didn't go too well... (i wasn't even able to get out of my driveway. But i only had all seasons on.) If you plan on driving that, you better have some good winter tires.

That was my first car and my dream car at the time... now i know its better to be practicle over anything else... especially if you love this sport...

#517 ·
That is not a big accomplishment. I bet it was converted to 2x2 with that lift setup. If it is an 8" suspension lift the front driveshaft angle would be too high and many people remove the front driveshaft making it 2WD and that combined with a light back-end make driving on snow and ice less than ideal, to say the least.

#521 ·
X2, the only people who think ridiculously large trucks with ridiculously large lifts are cool are the douchebags who drive them. They can't even offroad for shit even when they're left 4WD. My Jeep on 31's can outwheel any newer ridiculously lifted truck I see with 37's and 40's and shit.

#544 ·
Its all about how you drive what you have. Its not what you have. Last year i took my 96 mercury cougar out and used it to pull other people out of ditches. It was a v8 and rwd. I drove my festiva everywere with out getting stuck to bad that i couldnt get out my self. I carry a shovel in the winter just cause my car sits low.

Man do i get a kick outta helping lifted 4x4 jeeps out of the snow with my rwd mercury.

I make it a goal to put as many hours drivein in the snow as i can to get myself ready for out west. O and its just fun

#546 ·
Man do i get a kick outta helping lifted 4x4 jeeps out of the snow with my rwd mercury.
I'm callin BS. Yeah, it's DEFINITELY about how you drive and there's plenty of asshats with Jeeps who can't drive to save their lives, but the laws of physics still apply and RWD is not good enough to pull the weight of 2 vehicles on ice when one is stuck unless you have the studs from hell :laugh:

#550 · (Edited)
heres my other ride.. sometimes when i feel like being super tuff and cool i just drift the whole way up the mountain and sometimes i stop and tow semi's out of ditches.. this one time i was like shtt dude let me put some air in my tires and i can rock climb like that suped up wrangler.. made them look stupid dumb.

heres me telling my kid its not about the ride its the RIDER!

Attachments

#551 ·
Up until two weeks ago, this was my snowboarding beast.

(those tail lights were a backup pair that I replaced back with stockers after the originals broke from a tree branch)

Two weeks ago watching her drive away.... :(

This is the other snow slut I bought specifically for snowboarding.
Audi A4 Quattro (AWD) 2.0 Turbo with a 6sp manual tranny.

I really got to test her out last year when we got 20+ inches of snow. One of the only people on the roads. :D

The exit to Wintergreen... non-plowed, haha.

... and the resort road... thats me with the shovel.

This was the ONLY time I got stuck. And it was b/c an SUV got stuck well before us in which also blocked the road, which then caused us to stop.
Not bad for a car with summer performance tires. I know some of you will probably think I am crazy, but, I have MANY years experience driving in mess that most people wouldnt dare drive though. River crossings, deep mud bogs, deep soft sand, flooded city streets, and deep snow... you name it.

Im still missing my truck.

#553 · (Edited)
Yeah, those are nice, too. The A4 was my first AWD car and by far the most fun ive ever had in a car in the snow. Drifting turns on empty streets is so much fun. That is if you are responsible about it and KNOW how to drive in those conditions.

Edit: To the guy with the Cougar... Im sorry but if thats true, then thats incredible. I dont see it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.