Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

help a first timer choose equipment

832 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  proboner 
G
#1 ·
so ive only been snowboarding twice, but am pretty good and enjoy it quite a bit. i am looking to purchase a board boots and bindings but am looking to keep costs down. ive been on ebay looking at some snowboard packages in the $300 range, but after reading on here have come to the conclusion that these products are not great quality. but at the same time, these opinions are coming from people who most likely board several times a week. im looking to go up a few times a year, ride around mainly on black diamonds and the like, maybe hit a few small jumps... basically nothing too crazy. so i wonder, will i seriously regret getting this cheap equipment? what would you guys suggest?

G
#4 ·
i dont remember the size boards ive ridden in the past...

im 6' and weigh roughly 175lbs, and wear a size 11 boot. im planning on using a 159 length board unless you guys think i should do something different

#7 ·
You can do anything from 156-161. You are my weight and a little taller and I ride a 158. The general rule is, go lower if you want more control and less speed and higher if you want a little less control but more speed. Going with a bigger length is also good if you ride powder (natural, fluffy snow). Just remember, the rider determines the board size. You can learn on just about any board that can support you. I personally would go with a 157 or 158 if I were you.

#5 ·
Snowboard Buying Guide & Shop - How & Where to buy a Snowboard
Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

I used these 2 sites initially to get an idea of what size i needed and what type of board would suit me. It's all about the research man. Get an idea of what you want, narrow down your choices from 50 if you need to! Use online stores too, like Sierra and The House. Once you know roughly what you want, try searching these forums for previous reviews and comments, there's a lot to read through!
If you're an all-mountain rider, anything between 159 and 161 should be ok.

Have fun!!!

#6 ·
Haha i teach my friends on black diamonds and i spend most the day pulling them out of the trenches on the sides

G
#8 ·
any suggestions on the equipment in terms of brand names and quality/durability? i dont need any specialized board or bindings or anything, but i would like them to last for at least a couple years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.