Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Team Gullwing Review
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
supercollider

Default Nitro Team Gullwing Review

5'10, 180-185. I got a couple of days in at Mammoth on the team gullwing 159, regular width. We got buried in snow.

First off, it rides smaller than some other boards out there due to the scoop in the nose and tail. This shortens your effective edge.
For Example, the 159 has a 120 cm Effective edge. A Never Summer SL-R 158 has 123, and a K2 Slayblade 158 has 124.
The Minus side is you ride a larger board than you would normally, but the plus side is that you have a long tip and tail for the pow. Also, the Tapered ends are light, so you don't really feel like your're riding a bigger board.
I compared it to a K2 JibPan 158 (Last years, reg. camber) and the JibPan felt way longer. You could see it when you got on the board. So It doesn't feel as big as a board like the never summer SL-R.

It charges really well, I felt fast and stable the whole time. Butters, ollies nice. It has a very playful flex. It took me about two runs to get used to the camber and then I was good to go. Stability seemed good for me, I could really go fast on it and stay in control.

I like having the Camber at the tips for charging, it really feels good to get those tips pressing into the snow. Also the board had a good surfy feel in powder due to the natural rocker. You could lay a turn from a more centered stance, and the board would just bend from the middle and whip around.

One note about the sidecut. It's different from alot of others. It's very straight from the tips but has a lot of bend between the feet. This means entering and exiting turns are very stable, but you have spot in the middle of the turn where the board just whips around. If you're aware of it it's not a problem but for a rider who's used to a constant radius sidecut it may seem odd at first. It was designed this way to avoid hooking when spinning and landing off balance, and it seems to work. Also, in straight lines it's pretty easy to relax and not worry about catching an edge.

Lastly, I'd have to comment on the base. I don't know if it was the wax or what (I used toko Cold/Warm 80/20, my buddy used Bluebird/Swix) but I was way faster than my him and alot of others on the flats, runouts, etc all weekend.. He had a new Never Summer Evo-R with a fresh coat of wax on it.

I can't really say how it did in choppy/cruddy snow, because it dropped about 4-5 feet(!) that weekend, so it was all powder and groomers with good snow. (Heh heh.) I have a hunch it would do fine though...

To me the toss up would be between this board and a never summer . I could probably drop down a size in the NS if I wanted to, just because of the edge length. Haven't demoed one yet.

Last edited by supercollider; 12-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
supercollider is offline   Reply With Quote