18K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  snowman55 
#1 ·
Board - Capita Charlie Slasher 158
Bindings - Burton Cartels
Boots - Salomon Malamutes
Stats - 5'11" 180 9.5 Boot
Setup - Regular, 22" width, 15/-9
Location - Stevens Pass
Conditions - Knee/Waist Deep PNW Powder(heavy/wet)

Rode this board on new years day and today. Pretty much rode trees/off-piste powder and some cat tracks/groomers.

Powder riding is fun, but powder riding with a powder board is even better. Riding this board in the heavy/wet PNW we get here in Seattle was awesome, my first couple runs I was still leaning a bit back because my mind just does that in deep powder, after I got a few runs in I started to ride more centered, you can definitely feel the difference with the tapered shape and setback stance, I was mobbing through the deep stuff with absolutely no problems staying afloat. Usually after a day of riding in deep pow I get that back leg burn, I rode pretty hard both days and my back leg was not too sore.

Riding groomers on the board was fine, its not as damp/stable and easy to ride on as my SL-R but I never expected it to be, I was able to ride the chop/crud without any issues.

I was worried about the extruded base but I was pleasantly surprised how fast it was, theres a cat trail on the backside of stevens where a lot of people get stuck towards the middle, with my SL-R I never had any problems keeping speed and never had to unstrap, this was the same with the Charlie, absolutely no problems with steep and I even hit a couple tree stumps rocks and the base is holding up well.

On some of the cat trails there are some jumps you can hit on the side, having a tail was nice to pop off and land you can definitely feel it there on landings.

I would recommend this board to anyone looking for a pow stick, awesome price, great company to buy from.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
I thinks the 2011board models performs just as well if not better than the older models. The new sintered base is very fast

There still isn't anything out there that can beat this for the price. Mayby the Jones hovercraft but it boesnt have a tail.

#19 ·
Probably the 164, im a little smaller than you, 5'10 160, and the 158 feels perfect. Definitely go bigger for backcountry/sidecountry. Im thinking about getting one to split for next year.

#22 ·
Kind of an old thread but I am looking at getting my first pow board and wondering if a Chuck Slasher 158 is too small for my 180 lbs. ass?

I ride mostly in the East so our powder days are friggin few and far between. Normally I'll ride a 157 for hard days and I have a 160 for more powdery days that works awesome.

I don't know if the "thing" with powder boards is, that you can ride them the same length as what you would normally ride and they just keep you afloat better, OR if you need to step it up a size.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

#23 ·
158 will be fine for you. I'm a little heavier than you and have a 164, but I could've gone with the 158. The new addition of the 161 is probably the perfect solution for me, but I have no complaints about my 164.

The Charlie Slasher has huge setback, massive taper, and that big old soft rockered nose keeps you floating no matter what. You'll be fine with a 158.

#27 ·
well maybe just use the lando...can't really ride a pow board switch...though I have done so with the CS on groomers. Anyway a pow board is for easy pow riding...just a right tool for the RIGHT conditions....have it set on my regular stance and angles but in the middle of the CS inserts....just stand up and cruise on the deep and even goes on the low angle...where as my other boards would be sinking under my heft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.