Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What board to buy for a girl? k2 vvv rocker?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Milo303 
G
#1 ·
When i started snowboarding I bought the cheapest girls board and bindings i could find, about $400 for both (which in Australia is a bargain, new boards can cost up to $1000 AUD). I realised it actually does matter what board you have when I tried out my mates and made more progress in one day than i had all season on mine.

So im looking at buying a new board, and need some advice. Im only just starting park stuff, but was looking at the k2 vvv rocker so i can progress a bit more in that area. Im worried though that if i get bored/dont improve in the park, it wont be great for the icy/chopped up conditions that are usual in australia and new zealand. Ive heard that the reverse camber boards arent that good with grip and speed. Any opinions?

#2 ·
Have you looked into the Capita Space Metal Fantasy FK? It's the girl version of the extremely sick Capita Horrorscope... It's a really good priced board in the states so I'm curious how it would be down there?

#3 ·
Hey livelife! Could you provide a bit more information on your riding style, weight, and skill level? Are you looking for a park board that you can take all over the mountain or a board that you will only use in the park?

The K2 VVV is a great park board, but can be unstable at high speeds, so it's probably not the board for you if you want to cruise the mountain, too. If you ride a lot of icy conditions, consider boards with magnetraction like Gnu and Roxy, or Never Summer which has Vario Grip. Although a lot of these boards are alternative/reverse camber, the magnetraction and Vario Grip side cuts help retain the edge hold of a regular camber board. Have you had a chance to demo any reverse camber boards? I love mine, but I know that a lot of people prefer regular camber. It's all personal preference.

I currently ride the Gnu B-street, which I LOVE. It is a jib stick, but it also floats well in powder and holds up well at high speeds. Of course, it wouldn't handle like an aggressive freeride deck, but it's a park board that will perform well all over the mountain. I've also heard good things about the Gnu B-pro and the B-nice.

Roxy has the Ollie Pop and the Eminence (which is the EXACT same deck as the B-street), both of which I've heard good things about.

The Never Summer Pandora-R is another park deck you can take all-mountain. A lot of ladies on this forum ride the Never Summer Infinity-R. I have one and keep it as my pow/speed/slush/crud deck, although you could certainly take it into the park. So if you like your boards just a bit stiffer and heavier, the Infinity may be a good fit as well.

The Capita Space Metal Fantasy sells at a great price and is a very popular new deck this year. It was actually my first choice for a freestyle deck before my husband surprised me with the B-street.

Burton also makes some nice sticks: check out the Lipstick and the Blender.

And of course, Ride makes some excellent park decks, although I think they tend to be a bit stiffer overall than the ones I mentioned here.

Shayboarder.com posts excellent reviews of a lot of boards, but keep in mind that she is more of a freeride-oriented rider. This is an informative board test as well: Shred Betties | Gear Reviews & Information | On Snow Demo

This is quite the list! Tell us more about your riding style and we can help you narrow it down a bit.

G
#4 ·
I agree with what you were saying about the lack of information for girls, and the info that is around mostly contradicts other info. So thanks for your advice i really appreciate it. Im not too keen on going into the shop to ask people either cause alot of the time they just say whatever they can to sell you something!

Ive only just started venturing into the park, and by just started i mean hoping to get over the jumps/boxes without falling over lol. But im starting to get addicted and next season would like to do alot more. Saying that, I probably want to spend about half my time in the park, and half on the rest of the mountain. I can do black runs fairly confidently.
Ive tried out my friends reverse camber boards and its definately what I want to be getting next. Im pretty tall and have super long legs so i like having a pretty wide stance, but like a shorter and lighter board, cause i weigh about 70 kgs. Plus i have really big feet too so that doesnt make things easier! Was a bit hard with my old board cause the length was fine but i had to sacrfice a wider stance for a shorter length board.
Im checking out the ones you recommended right now and getting together a list to narrow it down to the best one.
So it is possible to get a board thats really good for everything, but the vvv is probably not the one by the sounds of it...

#5 ·
The question about reverse camber I missed somehow...

There's a lot of reverse camber boards available now, and some are really loose feeling, and some you can't tell are reverse camber except that you magically don't catch edges nearly as much, and you can butter and press all over the dam place suddenly.

The FK board I mentioned is a reverse camber tech that you can't tell is reverse camber until you start playing around.

Also almost all of Never Summer boards have a reverse camber tech that achieves a similar "not loose" feel that reverse camber boards have been associated with.

The skate banana is the reverse camber board that got everyone screaming reverse camber boards can't be taken to high speeds and such... Then this magnetraction thing came around and kinda tightened that board up.

Fact is that I can FLY on my FK board and I never feel "loose" in a bad way. I own the Capita Horrorscope and love it for everything except for bigger mountain stuff where you need a stiffer board for.

#7 ·
It's a fairly/pretty stiff all mountain chick board that isn't good for a new park rider, but will slay some all mountain riding.

The Infinity is softer and would be better.... But really, Never Summer makes some stiff ass boards all the way around, it's just how it is. And for someone actually wanting to learn park, rather then already being good in the park, I wouldn't recommend a stiffer board like ones in the NS lineup... Once you figure out how to manipulate a board to work for you, a stiffer board can give you more pop and even control. But softer boards tend to be a little bit easier for newer riders to master.

Do you guys have some local snowboard shops that you could go and press on some boards to see how soft they are? If you do, be careful because a shop worker can try and talk you into buying a specific board.... My opinion is to come back here and ask questions before buying a board from a shop. I see people on this forum fairly often who bought a board from a shop because they gave the buyer a "deal" and the board was a piece of shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.