just to revive this old thread..
I am trying the heat gun method and did my board but I am wondering should the wax look when using heat gun? Basically, I am using the gun until the wax turns a bit shiny, should I melt it a bit more like until it is runny? I am worried I might burn the wax or my base. I am fairly good at moving the gun around to prevent hot spots.
Also, is this a replacement for hotwaxing? if not, how often should I hotwax?
Originally Posted by Zee
Rub rather than drip.
1. Crayon the wax on base
2. Heat up iron
3. Touch wax to iron and rub warm wax on base a section at a time until base is covered
4. Melt wax into base as you normally would (that is carefully, moving the iron constantly)
5. Scrape, brush, cork
This method uses way less wax than dripping, and I find you get more even coverage, and have much less to scrape off.
Heat Gun Quick Wax (Experts Only)
1. Crayon on the wax onto base
2. Heat gun on low, CAREFULLY melt the wax on to the base, move the heat gun constanty and fairly quickly. Holding the heat gun in one spot or holding it too close WILL damage your base.
3. Brush, scotchbrite or whatever, no scraping is necessary with this method.
I use this between full waxes sometimes, it only take 5-10 minutes.