Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Whats up with skiers?

12K views 97 replies 37 participants last post by  Grizz 
#1 ·
Sup everyone,just wanted to post something on here that i had read on a Skiers forum.I read where a snowboarder had a bad encounter last weekend at a local Mounatain.He stated that while riding teaching his girlfriend on a (green trail)some skiers came down the hill like bats out of hell and almost collided with them.The rider states that one of the skiers actually stoped and yelled at him to move out of the way and threw a handful of snow at him.My question is whats up with these skiers?:dunno: I personally have had 2 encounters with skiers in the past 2 yrs.Last year while riding my girlfriend wiped out on the slow section of the mountain(where you end up after your run)Some skier yelled at her to get up!Needless to say that that guy was about 30 yards behind her and could have avoided her,plus he was a real (jonhny speedrocket)real a#$$hole.when I approched him and he would shut up I did what was natural and I clocked him ,left him laying there like the peace of shit he was.and of course got kicked out(but it was end of season and i didnt care).2nd confrentation was another skier acually knocked down this little kid about 7yrs old (who was on ski's)and didnt bother to see if the kid was ok so I had to help the poor kid get up.So my question is has anybody else have had run ins with skiers?And why are they A-holes?:confused:

#29 ·
truth be told (and don't tell the skiers) i don't really mind mogul fields....

you can use them to bank turns off of as well, and the ones with a bit of flat behind them make super wicked jumps! holy schmeg i have broken the sound barrier a good few times from hopping moguls!

they're like whoop-dee-doos!

G
#33 ·
it depends on how the moguls are formed for me. i find i can whiz through them so long as i'm carving throug around their mid-sections and completely avoiding the actual valleys between them. it's also easy if the moguls are particularly soft.

#35 ·
oh i don't know, those piston bullys can be pretty good slope manicurists!

but in france especially, if a good sized mogul field forms, they leave it there. it is supposed to attract the mogul lovers and theoretically lessen the risk of other fields forming

but that does little to prevent the effects of newbie skiers doing the perpetual snow plough! (consider that the next time someone tries to slag off a slip slider!):D

G
#36 ·
PaoloSmythe said:
truth be told (and don't tell the skiers) i don't really mind mogul fields....

you can use them to bank turns off of as well, and the ones with a bit of flat behind them make super wicked jumps! holy schmeg i have broken the sound barrier a good few times from hopping moguls!

they're like whoop-dee-doos!
Yeah! I <3 racing between them to build up for one huge jump near the bottom. :D

#37 ·
I still have problems with them because I ride a big wide deck so I have tendency to get too deep into them and can't get the board around quick enough to not get caught. They do make sick jumps for sure though! First day of the season for me I found this back run that was open at Mt. Snow that was all moguled up by the skiers and the end of the day... either way I start charging it hard and decide to lift off one of them only to proceed to land flat on top of another one I didn't see when I took off tail force springs the board forward, nose catches a powder stash and I do a freaking cartwheel! it was actually one of the most fun falls I've ever had because it was just crazy how it happened!

I do like the runs though because it's challenging for me

G
#40 · (Edited)
problem i have with skiers(mostly the less talented ones) is that they jump on a slope alittle to hard for them and then carve from one side to the other...almost impossible to pass them cause as soon as you make a move bam! the turn into your path lol..like they are trying to slow you down...there so unpredictable...i hate bein behind skiers like that

#41 ·
Nikolai said:
problem i have with skiers(mostly the less talented ones) is that they jump on a slope alittle to hard for them and then carve from one side to the other...almost impossible to pass them cause as soon as you make a move bam! the turn into your path lol..like they are trying to slow you down...there so unpredictable...i hate bein behind skiers like that
One of the things I hate about boarders (that is similar) to your skier complaint, is when they hit jumps/jibs/etc that are *off* a trail, yet the landing area is *on* the trail. They end up launching perpendicular to the trail, and then ride *across* it for awhile before going down the hill. This is way worse than the skier example above, because your usually not looking for people coming out the woods. It's 'noxious and dangerous. Keep that shit totally *on* the trail, or take it to the park.

And, I also hate it when a pack of riders decided to turn part of a trail into a parking lot.

G
#42 ·
sedition said:
And, I also hate it when a pack of riders decided to turn part of a trail into a parking lot.
Thats the worst. Do that at the bottom...or at least get off to the damn side. i understand its sometimes necessary to stop and laugh at your buddy who just face-planted...or even stop and wait for him to recover, but move it to the side of the run.

#43 ·
a few genuine issues here, which i can agree with.

i feel shame when i see a bunch of lazy arsed sliders camped in the middle of a piste, usually just over on the blind side of a roller or hump. i usually roost em and swear something sub-complimentary. i figure if they are acting like idiots, it is our duty to let them know.

as for over taking the swerving and slow.... just communicate to them your intended side of over taking.... just yell to them "on yer left / right" and then bomb past them. truth of the matter is, when you are on your board, they can hear you and that makes them more precautious. take away their doubt but defining your intent. job done.

same too if you are on a piste which crosses another or similar.... just look at those who you risk a collision with, right in the eye and just point with extended finger exactly where you intend to go.

y'all just need to indicate and communicate.

G
#44 · (Edited)
sedition said:
One of the things I hate about boarders (that is similar) to your skier complaint, is when they hit jumps/jibs/etc that are *off* a trail, yet the landing area is *on* the trail. They end up launching perpendicular to the trail, and then ride *across* it for awhile before going down the hill. This is way worse than the skier example above, because your usually not looking for people coming out the woods. It's 'noxious and dangerous. Keep that shit totally *on* the trail, or take it to the park.

i agree with you on that one...ive never done that cause i havent tried tricking yet but that def is no good

G
#45 ·
PaoloSmythe said:
as for over taking the swerving and slow.... just communicate to them your intended side of over taking.... just yell to them "on yer left / right" and then bomb past them. truth of the matter is, when you are on your board, they can hear you and that makes them more precautious. take away their doubt but defining your intent. job done.
i do if im close enough to shout to them but the problem i have is ill be moving at a decent speed quicker then them and intend to pass...ill have a clear cut path and as im commin up on them they turn right into my path and scare the hell outta me...i put enough distance between me and them on the intended path but the can change direction so fast...they move more sidways somtimes then forward...guess i jsut need to put more "buffer" room between me and those kind of skiers

#46 ·
well if you are too far or too shy to yell at them, you need to just hold back and watch their 'style'; they usually try to slalom at a rhythm and so as they are about to turn you make your move.

basically, if they are constantly swerving, you can aim at them when they are positioned at one of their 'extremes', coz by the time you reach them, they will be out of the way. (bonus points tho for running over the tail of their skis! :D)

#48 ·
PaoloSmythe said:
(bonus points tho for running over the tail of their skis! :D)
:laugh: Thats always funny. But only done if said skier was being a prick.

And as far as features on the sides of trails as long as you clear landings it perfectly fine, fun and safe. I'll be honest I love playing on whatever jumps, walls, etc that are on the sides of trails it makes the run so much more fun that is the only reason to ride green trails.

G
#51 ·
Ill tell ya this weekend the skiers were fiesty! I must have had three of them alone run over the back of my board while waiting in line..and two were kids who aint got a clue...Dad was there...he is clueless too. I got cut in on the line twice by skiers..older retired people..who can argue with that right:laugh:
Only 3? Consider yourself lucky brother, where I rid 3 hit the back of my board every time I wait for the lift. After I got my Dark Series I started yelling at them, but that didn't do much help. Now I turn my board sideways while waiting, they still run into my boots. WTF is this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.