Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

CA snowboarding 3rd week of March?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  alasdairm 
G
#1 ·
Hey

We're about to move to California from Europe and want to go snowboarding the 3rd week of March. The group is all boarders - 2 advanced, 1 intermediate, 1 beginner (3 weeks on the snow).

Where will be reasonably snow sure and offer a good mix of terrain? Reading about Alpine Meadows, sounds like our kind of scene, i.e. small, not too poncy and close to Squaw.

Any advice from locals? Should we be thinking of getting out of state in March?

thanks

K

#3 ·
March is generally one of the if not the best month in Cali for riding. Storms usually roll through at that time dumping a ton of snow and then sunshine returns. Temps tend to be on the more comfortable side. Lot's of options in the Tahoe area. Squaw, Sugar Bowl, Donner, North Star, Homewood are all close to Alpine. Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Mt Rose are not out of the question. Lot's of options in the area.

#4 ·
Northstar has a great mix for all the memebers in your group, as would Sugar Bowl if you're staying up Northshore. I'm not a fan of AM as every time I've been dragged there, it's been windblown and chairs on hold, which almost never happens at Homewood, Sugar Bowl, Northstar...you get the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.