Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Epic Bandanna / Face MaskThread

445K views 732 replies 254 participants last post by  smellysell 
#1 · (Edited)
There is this little store near my house that sells all kinds of cartoon stuff. They had a Punisher mask in the window the other day. I almost always rock a face mask when on the trails. Hence, I thought this would make for some end of the season fun/kookiness at the local mountain. Below are few pics from the lodge. I got some of the best looks from skiier mom's and their little kids. :D

See less See more
#328 ·
I have had the Seirus Combo Clava and it worked pretty well. The nose and mouth area became icey on colder days so I stopped using it. I now have a bandana with a fleece lining. Works surprisingly well... if I am not wearing goggles that is.

Anyone ever try the Burton Tech Facemask? They are from 09 and virtually sold out everywhere. I see one on Porters for only the black color. Looks really sick.

I'm about to use my last discount for UnderArmour and get the UA hood.

#330 ·
Just got my UA Hood delivered. Wow, most comfortable mask I have put on. People on here weren't kidding. I was scared about the compression fit at first, but it is actually great. Now let's hope that it keeps me warm on the mountain when I get my first shred this weekend.

#331 ·
Has anyone tried smartwool? It may be a bit late to ask for opinions since i've ordered mine, but it will take a while until it actually gets to me, and i wont have it for the ski trip next week. I wanted a red balaclava but some people here bashed it, and i didn't like the sub-zero style patch over the mouth.

#332 ·
What are some of your opinions on fleece-lined bandanas??? i didn't really think about face protection laast year so i just rolled with a banadana and it froze up quite a bit, and this past week i picked up a fleece-lined bandana from zumiez and i was wondering if anyone has ever used them and how they worked out for you? I'm going riding this weekend so ill be able to try it out then.

#333 ·
I used it last season. It is actually really good. Much better than a regular bandana. I have had issues with the fleece collecting my breath causing it to freeze after extended use. This was a deal breaker for me so I picked up the UA hood this year. I would still use my bandana though. Just not for really cold days.

#334 ·
I've got a fleece lined bandana and it's great. It really resists the wind cutting through and freezing your shit up like almost all other bandanas.
This year I picked up a blingin' DC bandana and this one from zumiez:

I figured it was time to up the stoke a little on my face region.

#335 ·
I finally got a chance to shred and test all of my new gear. I have to say, the UnderArmour hood did not perform as well as I thought. Breathing was a little harder than normal when I tried it at home, but on the mountain it became much harder to do. And Michigan hills are only about 500ft vert. Although, I have mentioned that my head is very large so the mask fit is really snug on me. I am guessing breathing is fine for people with smaller heads. Another problem that I came across is the fogging of my goggles. My breath would fog up my goggles when I started to breath heavier.

All things considered, it is still a great mask. It kept my head totally dry (even with my beanie over it) and warm. I solved the breathing problem by just pulling down the mask off of my nose and using it to just cover my mouth.

My verdict: If you have a smaller head, definitely pick one up. If you have a large head (mine is 60cm), consider another option unless you can live with exposing just your nose.

Also, if you have a prominent nose bridge, I am sure you will be fine. Not so good for Asians.

#342 ·
This is the upcoming fad in facial mask wear and snowboard fashion.

#345 ·
Got mine the other day. Havn't had a chance to ride with one yet.... Kinda thin but the workmanship is quality and the strap that goes over your ear to hold the mask up is a SICK idea imo. I will have a review soon hopefully

#350 ·
Yet another believer among the mere hypnotists! Btw, I am really amazed at how long this thread has gone...at least it has been a good one.

EDIT: I think UA owes Flick and I some commission. We have made them a lot of money with all the UA hood endorsements.

#351 ·
Love the look of the Ride QI, anyone got a report on how it performs goggle-fog wise when you're breathing heavily? Worst thing about facemasks/neck gaiters is the fucking goggle foggery they cause. Having an open bottom should remedy this somewhat but to what extent is the question.

#352 ·
I have had very little trouble with goggle fogging an my UA mask. That said, there are a few things you can do help avoid fogging with any pair of goggles:

(1) Leave the top of your jacket open a bit. Heat rises, and if your neck area is closed up tight, the warm air will go right up into your face. The disparity in temps can be a factor in fogging. Let some

(2) DO NOT keep taking your goggles on and off. Put them on your face, and leave them there. Also, put them on before you go outside, not after.

(3) Breath through your mouth, not nose.

(4) Do not wipe internal fog off with your glove, fingers, shirt, etc. This will remove any anti-fog spray that is on them. Instead, just let them "dry out" on their own (inside).

(5) Properly use anti-fog spray if needed.

(6) Wear a mask (I.e. UA) that allows heat to disappate all over, as oppose to a think, unbreathable mask, that really only allows heat to escape around your eyes.

If you do all of the above, then you shouldn't have much trouble with fogging. *shrugs*

#353 ·
Tried everything you said there sedition and nothing works for me. Except the breathing through the mouth. There is no way I am going to make myself uncomfortable in that manner purposely. I'm a snowboarder, not a scuba diver :laugh:

Even then, I have difficulty breathing through the UA Hood. Like I have said before though, this is most likely due to my really large head and flat face. The hood is really tight on me and it compresses my nose.

With that said, I still love my UA hood. The thing keeps me super warm and dry even though I am wearing a helmet over it. No wind gets through at all my face stays nice and warm. The only working solution I found to the goggle fogging problem is uncover my nose. I mean, I have really good anti-fog goggles and it only briefly fogs, but it happens every time I breath out so it might as well just stay fogged. Luckily, my goggles block some of the wind from hitting my nose so it isn't a huge deal.

I think the Ride Qi would be a perfect solution to that problem since it isn't a warm mask. I can just wear it over my hood to give my nose some coverage without being extremely warm.

Now only if someone would post a damn review of the Ride Qi so the rest of us can buy one before the season ends.

#357 ·
ok i went to do my report on the ride qi's. i didnt wear it at first cause it was 30 degrees so that night i got to try it out. it is not the warmest but it keeps your face from freezing. this mask stays on your face and you dont have to worry about it. i love this thing cause i didnt get hot and it is breathable. 9 out of 10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.