1. You dont need chains. Hunter is NOT that serious
2. Rent a board and boots.
3. Buy cheap ski/snowboarding pants
4. As long as the jacket is waterproof your good
5. Ski/snowboard socks are a must
6. Goggles are a nice thing to have, but not an absolute necessity
7. Waterproof Gloves are a must
8. Go to the mountain in normal clothes. You will be fine.
I live in Long Island also. The shops the guy above recommended to you are great- but if you are trying not to spend much money- Get the pants at marshalls or something and if you get goggles get them at Dicks or Sports Authority in Garden City.