Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Park stance

3K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  weeky22 
G
#1 ·
I've been snowboarding since i was 7, and not until I was 14 could i ever find somewhat of a good stance. I like to ride park, BUT the other half of the day i usually ride back country, right now my angles are +15/-15
and my front binding is an inch closer to the front the the back binding is to the back, so my weight shifts forward, but recently when i hit bigger jumps i tend to get off balance and fall if i do anything more than a 3. So I was just wondering what would be an appropriate stance for park and also back country, we usually have not to much powder but we get those days were there's around 2-3 around every other few weeks, I'm around 5'9", 140 lbs, I haven't gotten around to buying a new board this season but it is currently 144cm (around the height of my shoulders), thanks for your help. Remember park and back country, I'm scared if i put it to far back i usually tend to lean to far back and i cant transfer my weight in park, but to far forward in back country sometimes I lean forward and flip, barely ever happens but its hard to lean back so much. I'm trying to go today and tomorrow so answers soon please.

G
#2 ·
you definetly dont want to have your front binding closer to the front than your back binding is to the back. It just doesnt make sense. It should be the other way around or completely twin if you ride switch alot. You will be off balance and wont be able to ride powder as well with that stance.

as for the angles 15/15 is good. Its a regular park stance and is used by many riders. Some use +15 and a lower back binding like -(12-0). It all depends how much you ride switch. Personally I ride +12/-12. I find 15/15 a little bit too "duck"

#3 ·
"lean to far back" + "lean forward and flip" is likely caused by your bindings not being centered.
After riding a few hours and hurting my front knee because it twisted in weird ways (using 12/6, approx. shoulder width, right binding shifted to the back 1 inch), here's how I got to my current stance (15/12, shoulder width + few inches apart, dead center): without wearing shoes/boots, take a little run, jump up and land in a way that feels good. Look at how your feet and transfer that stance to your bindings + center them. I did, and it immedeatly felt right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.