Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Introduce yourself

2M views 4K replies 2K participants last post by  ctoma 
#1 ·
I will start this thread.

I am 24 years old, live in Toronto Canada.

I grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan (where there is a ton of snow) so naturally i have gone both skiing and snowboarding.

I'm still a beginner snowboarder, but hope to learn lots at Snowboarding Forum :D

#1,130 ·
Hi

Hi there,

I am Hidde, just 15 years old and I'm from Holland. :)

I haven't snowboarded jet, tho I did do skiing one year. Since skiing is quite lame I decided to go snowboarding this winter. I'll be in Austria for a week in December. I decided to register here to pick up some info, and read about it a bit. I also have a stupid question: How long does it take before one can, on a decent way, go off the mountain? I'll take lessons, and blue slopes are fine enough for the first time. I've read different things, variating from just 1 day to 3 days, but I don't know wich source should be trustable. Thought you guys would know?

Anyway, I also do other sports, Football, Windsurfing and Tennis. Windsurfing is not that often tho, as I do not have my own gear jet(I took lessons last year and this year for a week(every day) with some mates in the holidays) tho feeling how boards react might be a bit usefull when snowboarding.

Apart from sports, I have other interests aswel... I produce my own music, using the computer, some software and a basic homestudio. Right now I am working on what may be my first release... I also would like to pick up DJ'ing, but it's expensive...

Well my introduction turned out way too long as usual. Hope to enjoy my stay here anyway.

Greets :)

#1,131 ·
Sup Hidde! I would kill to get to ride some of the places your going to get to, lol. The DJ'ing sounds pretty cool, good luck with that!

As far as your question about learning, most places here in the states I read about have half and full day lessons. From what I understand, thats usually enough time to give you the basics and allow you to go work on and hone your skills on your own, if you were'nt standing off to the side taking pics, picking your nose, etc.. :p I have also had several istructors tell me a good instructor should be able to give you a decent lesson in around an hour, possibly even less.

Good luck to you man! I'm a newb myself, and just got done purchasing my first board w/bindings. Hoping to hit the slopes for the first time this next month.

Stay safe out there...

#1,132 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the answer man. I'll go check it out how it works out in my case. Hope to have some luck with the instructor aswel.

Well yeah Austria is quite nice indeed, lots of snow usually. Tho I don't know how it is for those hardcore- backcountry riders... I'll take some blue slopes first... :p

I guess I'll start with a few days of lessons, I can always say I want more after those.
Nice that you bought a board :) good luck to you aswel!

#1,133 ·
Hi,

I started snowboarding like 3 years ago..I am 14 years old. Before I did skiing.. but I like snowboarding much more! I am like a intermidate boarder now I would say, I hope I can improve a lot during next season. I live not too far to austria, so it is not that far to go for a ride.
Greets

#1,138 ·
Hi everyone,
My name is Adam. I am 30 years old from Texas, but plan to move to the Denver area in the next two years. We are going to be making 2 trips to the area this winter to check out the area and my wife and I are really excited to learn how to ski(her) and snowboard(me). We will be checking out both Colorado Springs and Boulder as potential places for us to move. Does anyone have any suggestions for places we can get lessons and ski/board?

#1,139 ·
aperdue...

From what I'm hearing the place to go up in that area is Winter Park, and its affiliated resorts. Its about and hour and 40 from Boulder, and 2 1/2 hours from colorado springs. This is some of the best snowboarding/skiing in that part of the country, from what I hear. And they also have some nice deals on half or whole day lessons for beginners. Here's a link...

Winter Park Resort - Official Ski Resort Website - Winter Park, Colorado

Hope thats what you were looking for. :)

#1,140 ·
Hey everybody,
My name's Ivan and I'm 22 from Mississauga Canada. I used to ride a lot when I lived in Calgary as a kid but it's been a good 8 years since then. I've been daydreaming about taking snowboarding back up for years but could never afford it until now.
There's a little ski hill right next to where I live so I'm psyched to go as much as possible this year and take trips to blue mountain and maybe kelowna in February.

This site is great and pretty much responsible for the essay I never finished this weekend

looking forward to get to know you all

#1,142 ·
New Rider/Member

Hey guys I am a new rider/member. I just bought a board and I'm ready to ride! I just moved from Texas to Bismarck, ND where there is a hill with some runs a a couple of lifts, it should be the perfect place to learn! My background is in skiing. Also there is a smaller hill right out the front door of my house where people build jumps on, this should be fun!

Also, my main sport is bike trials, so hopefully this will help with the snowboard tricks

#1,143 ·
Alright so I didnt do this yet, thought I would. What up?! I've been shreddin since I 13, i'm 20 now and wouldnt ya know it. Im a park rat. I do ride pow when it snows though and I really want to get into the backcountry, I just dont have a sled and i'm way to lazy to hike. Shreddin is my main passion along with bmx, mx, and fishing. I ride Park City.

#1,145 ·
Hi,

Im Eric, im 24 and have been snowboarding since last winter.
Im from Montréal, Qc. I have read a lot from here since i have interests in snowboard sport. Going to ride a lot more this winter.. just waiting for the snow :(

See you around,
sry for my english skills, it aint perfect.

#1,146 ·
Hi!
I'm Duke. I've been snowboarding for 25 years, and own a snowboard/surf/skate shop in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach Ca. My whole family works here. I've got two sons, 24 and 21 years old who also ride. Even my dog comes to work every day! My business partner is my brother-in-law, and my wife works here on weekends and holidays, and all summer long. I think we have the biggest selection of snow-related products in the area. We own Surfside Sports.

#1,149 ·
Hi there!

My name is Pedro and I am from Portugal. Unfortunately we only have a place to practice over here (Star Moutain) but we are 5 to 8 hours of some spanish "snow stations". I am looking forward to buy my first board, so I would look for some advice on another post :D

Good rides,

Pedro

#1,151 ·
Hey,

Jamie from Mid-Michigan. Been riding since 87? Started off w/ a Black Snow (don't ask), went to a Barfoot 151 Twintip, one of the first twin tip boards. Damn I'm old.

Anyways, I ride Bittersweet a LOT and am TRYIMG top get a crew to drive to upstate NY to maybe hit Gore Mountain this season.

Hit me up at sl33stak AT gmail.com if ya wannna ride.

#1,152 ·
Hello my name is Noah. I live out in Colorado. I have been snowboarding since 1989 or so. I use to be in the military so I was able to ride Europe for over half a decade. I also grew up on the East Coast so I grew up riding the great big blue sheet of ice called mountains there. I have seen many fads come and go in snowboarding. But I have to say I really like the camber options on boards today. I just wish the companies would still make more asymmetric side cuts like they did back in the early 90s. I currently ride last years 157 Burton Flying V. But this year plan to purchase a Never Summer Heritage. I don't really hit the park anymore. A dream day to me is a deep back country powder day. So many days in the winter you will find me hiking the Loveland pass with my dog running at my side as I descend.

#1,154 ·
Hello my name is Alanna. I live just outside of Burlington Vermont. I started snowboarding in 96'. This year I will be instructing (my second year) at Bolton Valley a small mountain that is close to home and affordable. During the winter months I also volunteer for the CHILL Program. If you are not familiar with this program please see my signature. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Happy posting!

#1,155 ·
Hi There,

My name is Paul, I have been living/working overseas for over 10 years now, and in that time I have had the opportunity to travel to a few different Ski resorts.

These include, Banff – Canada, Flaine – France, Maria Alm, Achenkirch –Austria, Perisher Valley & Perisher Blue – Australia.
Each time I travel to these places it’s with my wife and kids. As is often said, a family that plays together, stays together- corny and concerning I know, but true.

We are getting ready for next trip to France - Flaine again, as it's just so easy going , particularly with the family.

bug27
Hit the Piste