Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Switching from freestyle to all mountain boots, need help!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Toecutter 
G
#1 ·
hey guys,

i moved out to beautiful colorado this year and my riding style switched from small mountain and urban freestyle to big mountain riding. by big mountain i'm talking lots of trees, powder, high speed groomers, and bowls/chutes. i gotta say, after 5 or so powder days, i don't think i'll ever switch back.. so i need to switch from my super soft burton hails. comfy boot, but zero power or response in the powder from those guys.

anyway, i've researched burton stiffness ratings and what not, but i haven't talked to anyone with experience (only park rats at the local board shops) in stiffer boots. i want to make this a good investment and get the right boot for my riding. i need something that will give me the response and power i need in the powder and trees, while still allowing for comfortable all day riding, natural and man made gaps/jumps/drops, and maybe a rail or two every blue moon. burtons seem to fit my feet well but i'm open to anything less than $400.

thanks for your time and your advice!

#3 ·
You basically described why I use the Burton Rulers. Stiff enough (seem pretty stiff out of the box but they will break in) for all mountain but they don't hinder my park riding much if any. Very light as well, plenty warm.

As always try them on first, boots can fit different in models even within the same brand.

#5 ·
I've always had Northwave boots, they seem to fit my feet well and hold up pretty good. Right now I'm using an old pair of Legends. They're still pretty stiff so they give me good response for all mountain riding, maybe a little too stiff for park riding though. I do remember I hated them at first because they felt too stiff, but once they broke in I loved em.

#6 ·
I just bought a pair of Ride Crew BOA boots and they're really stiff. So stiff that I had a hard time controlling the board. I discovered how much I rely on my ankle motion for control and shock absorption, and I could feel the impacts being transferred up my legs to my knees. On my first day with the new boots I left the upper BOA completely loose but the boots still felt too stiff.

I do not know how much softer they might get with use, but I've gone back to using my previous 32 boots. Does anyone think they will soften up?

The take-home message here I guess is that your boots can be too stiff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.