Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

I noticed that Craigslist ads........(Rant)

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  banana420 
#1 ·
All snowboards say great for beginner.....might as well say it is beat to hell and noone will ever be happy with the performance of it except a beginner.

There are alot of 160+ boards on there.....how many people ride over a 160 board? I dont know but 1 person.

People list the board size in inches.....ughhhh if I have to convert, I will move along.

People dont list the brand/size/whatever in the ad.

Dont bother typing in Burton, Ride, K2, or any other brand, it seems that every Airwalk board comes with Burton Bindings or another brand name item so it pops up in a search....

Sorry, just irritated about the ads on there. If people would accurately describe what they have, I am sure some of it would sell quicker. I usually look for that great deal myself. Like my wifes brand new still stickered Lamar board with Lamar new bindings (75 dollars) and the right size too. But it is ridiculous lately the amount of garbage on there.....

Gib

See less See more
#2 ·
People over 200 lbs probably ride 160+...and there are a lot of people that big..

The thing i find funny about Craigslist are people selling 1998 Burton or Sims boards (WITH FREE BINDINGS AND BOOTS) for 200 dollars...or atleast they are trying too...i'm sure a lot of newbies buy that garbage too...

#3 ·
I'm 190lbs and 6' tall...

I'd never go under a 160cm for an all mountain board. Ironically, I can never find 160+ boards online on the clearouts on websites and stuff, so I guess this is just karma. :laugh:

(I agree with you, board lengths given in inches are annoying (unless that's how the board is marketed for some reason... :dunno:)

#4 ·
OK so there may be a demand for the 160+ boards.....just seems like there are a ton out there.....alot of them say "Barely Used".

Yeah 200 for old garbage and beat up is alot of what is on there. I agree people are probably buying that stuff.

Gib

#6 ·
This is true for more than just snowboards on craigslist, I've seen GSXR 600's on there with the "good beginner bike" label.

I think the main market of people buying snowboards on there are beginners though, at least as shown on here, I've seen quite a few "is this a good board" posts with old old boards and bindings.

#7 · (Edited)
I tend to see a lot of barely used new boards on craigslist, obviously for higher prices than the beat up stuff, but they pretty much all say that they're "good for a beginner" even if they're not. Probably just to get more sales. There seems to be a large market for them out there. For the most part, beginners don't know what a good board for them is, so if you describe it as a good beginner board they will probably take your word for it.

For example:
"it is still super responsive and has sharp edges. This set up is ideal for a lady that is just starting out or has years of experience."
I don't know anything about the specific board/setup that was listed, but usually "super responsive" and 'ideal for someone starting out' don't go hand in hand.

I've also searched craigslist before and haven't seen that many 160+ boards. *shrug* Maybe it's cause I don't pay as much attention to them, but I see tons of boards in my range (150-155).

#11 ·
Where you from, Gibs?

I ask because I also do not know anyone who rides over 160. Hell, my local shop only carries up to a 156.

The reason is that we only have groomers around here and the slopes are short and not very steep. The longest slope at Seven Springs takes me about 1 minute to get down.

Maybe you are only looking at east coast craigslist ads. I think out west, you need those longer boards to get through the crazy snow that gets thrown at you. I've had one good powder day in 4 years at Seven Springs. And it was tough for my 200# ass on a 156. Every other day is fine.

And dirt bike ads are the same way on Craigslist. They are always "great for beginners".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.