Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Post your injuries in the 09/10 season

10K views 67 replies 45 participants last post by  skip11 
G
#1 ·
-fell and flipped on a black diamond trail and elbowed myself in the ribs. Hard. Couldn't cough, laugh, or sit for a good 2 weeks.

-one of my wrist guard supports is curled out of the cloth, I fell and it poked me in the cheek. If it was 3 inches higher I prolly would have one eye.

-didn't pop off a ramp on this rail in time and my board got caught under the rail, landed on my hip, and my head whiplashed onto the rail. (The next day I bought a helmet)

See less See more
#2 ·
buckle fractured my arm yesterday at stratton- last run, double black diamond. my boa boots were unlocked and i didnt know. next thing i knew, BAM- caught my edge!

i tried to snowplow down the mountain in pain, but i ended up going the wrong way and the next thing i knew i was on the side of the road, 5 miles from the base lodge. a shuttle was passing by and gave me a ride back.

my first cast and best of all the doc said i can still board with it!

G
#11 ·
check out the red padded shorts. Never ride without em. saved my tailbone soooo many times haha.

Torn MCL and Meniscus. FML. had a season pass to my mountain. But im scheduled to be cleared the DAY BEFORE i go to Whistler :)

#21 ·
Yea, Tailbone injuries suck, a few years ago, I caught an edge really hard and bruised my tailbone real bad. Well, I kept riding since it was winter break and hit it several more times, then while in the condo I tried swinging on the loft down a half set of stairs lost my grip and landed on the last stair on my tailbone :eek: It hurt like an SOB and the whole bus trip on the way back from Temblant to CT I sat on pillow and probably ate half a bottle of advil. Woke up the next morning and had a black nub on my tailbone, lol, It looked like I had a tail removed, kinda like when a pitbull has its tail removed. I really wish I had a picture of it.

No bad falls this year yet, knock on wood.

#9 ·
Only 1 so far. Trying a backside boardslide I caught my nose under the ledge and came down with my thigh directly on the edge of the ledge. Massive charlehorse. Worst part was that it was a 5ft long 1ft high ride on ledge. Couldn't walk right the next day and I don't bruise so it didn't look cool.

#10 ·
SO far so good on the injury chart. Just the normal minor bumps and bruises. I pray that it stays that way for the rest of the season. Especially since I just bought some new boots, and my new board should be here any time now. :D

#13 ·
in july i was mtn biking and fell off, slamming my face into a rock and knocking out a tooth. had a pretty good concussion (lucky number 7 for me) too. dont know if that counts tho cuz i wasnt boarding. the other day tho i hit a log with my shoulder pretty good with some speed. turned my shoulder blue.

G
#22 ·
I guess it's bad when you can't really remember what happened. All I remember is on Friday, I landed on my left arm and couldn't breathe for a few seconds. I stayed a few hours after that, and my arm just felt sore all weekend. But today, my shoulder hurts like hell. It's taking a real effort to use it, but at least it moves. I'm taking the week off though (can't afford to break my arm in half) and will probably get it x-rayed if it's not normal by this Friday.

G
#23 ·
Jan 1st ....2nd time boarding.... toe side of my board caught as I was trying to cut back to the left. Covered my face with my arm in time but landed on the right side of my rib cage. Pretty sure I broke it, still hurts. But was back on the board on the 3rd. Ive got a pick somewhere with my chest wrapped that my GF took. Looks like im wearing a tube top.LOL

#27 · (Edited)
I broke my liver

I was at Loveland riding just out of bounds in powder at the beginning of December and hit a very (very) large chunk of ice under the pow. It caused my board to fly out in front of me and I landed on the chunk of ice on my back. I finished the day of boarding, but two weeks later, I was feeling all healed up. At that time I got sick with a fever and had back pain in the same spot I fell. Two visits to the Urgent Care later, I still had a fever. I was fed up with the fever after 10 days. I ended up going to the ER and told them to figure out what the hell was wrong with me.

After a blood test and CT scan, I was admitted into the hospital with a hematoma on my liver. They did a needle (12") biopsy and decided to put me on super strong antibiotics that required a PICC Line (if not familiar, look it up on YouTube). I kept the line in until the end of January after numerous CT Scans and home IV doses of the antibiotic (with home nurses once a week).

Final verdict: I had a fever for 19 days, PICC line for 30 days and $25K worth of hospital bills (thank god for insurance). I had fallen hard enough to cause a tear or break in my liver that bled and pocketed on the outside of my liver. This then got infected, causing me to get sick.

It was one of the best (and most expensive) days of boarding ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.