Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ouch, first day snowboarding....
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
357Wheelgunner

Default Ouch, first day snowboarding....

So today I went to 7 Springs in Southern PA to learn to snowboard. I got there at 9 am, bought a lift ticket and a 10am lesson, and tried to snowboard down to the lift...successfuly! I felt pretty confident so I went up. Got to the top and went down the little lift ramp perfectly. Then I got halfway down the first double green circle run that I chose, and must have spent 95% of the time on my ass or my face. I screwed up both my shoulders falling and had the wind knocked out of me a half dozen times. I would get going, then try to transition from toe to heel side and catch an edge and flop forward superman style, or spin in a circle and fall on my ass. I got halfway down and couldn't do it anymore, had to shamefully walk down the run to the waiting area for snowboard class. No one else signed up so I ended up getting a private lesson for half price. The instructor was very very helpful, when I did what he said I was rocking for 3-4 carves at a time before I fell over. Then I got tired, like I couldn't even move tired. We struggled down the mountain, with me trying to do something and my out of shape legs not responding. Add the fact that they were blowing this watery icy snow everywhere and it was terrible. We got down and I collapsed, had to cut the lesson short because I just couldn't go on. It pissed me off because if I was in better shape I would have had a fun day.

So now I know the basics. I'm resting today (witha bruise on my head, both knees, my ass, and two messed up shoulders) and tomorrow playing City Of Heroes then giving it another go on Monday.

All in all it was a productive day, I can't wait to give it another try with a fresh body and all the tips I got.

How'd you all do on your first day on a snowboard?

Oh, any tips on goggles that won't fog up my nerd glasses?