Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - need to decide on a new board
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Um...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Is this generally true? Are rockers better for carving and cambers better for jumping?
The idea (probably perpetuated from those who haven't ridden on one) is that a rockered board will not pop as well as a cambered board because a cambered board stores and releases more energy back against the board when you're ollying.

While in theory that makes complete sense, there are a few companies that have coupled technology with their rocker and have been able to prove the theory wrong and are producing boards that have just as much, if not more pop than a regular cambered board. I ride a NS Legacy-R that has WAY more pop than my old regular cambered Lib Dark Series, which I think is saying a lot.

One negative that I can think of that should be an issue for beginner/intermediate riders more than pop, is that you will lose some edge to edge stability with a rockered board. I see lots of recommendations and excitement from beginners for the latest rocker boards, but unless you have a good feel for edge control already, a rockered board could actually make progressing tougher overall.
Um...? is offline   Reply With Quote