Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - hey guys. big footed snowboarder here haha
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Um...?

Damn. You guys and the NS...

Knowing what I know now about riding, how much your style changes as you develop from a beginning to an advanced rider, I would never recommend a $500 board as an entry level board. Guess I'm old school like that, but really? $500 for something that you could completely outgrow, experience-wise, in a full season?? I'd have been pissed if I went out and bought a board that didn't compliment me, but I felt compelled to get because a bunch of fanboys couldn't stop talking about it on the forums.

The fact is, I love my NS because I DID have to ride on boards that taught me about my style. I love it because I know what it feels like to have had a board that noodled out on me after a season of riding. And because I know what toe drag actually is and why it sucks. I love it because NOW, after riding for almost 20 years, my board is the perfect extension of everything about me. Everything I want in a board and nothing else. Can the OP find that same board? Sure. But as a beginner, I have serious doubts. /rant

OP, go with something that you know will fit your boats and that probably doesn't cost a fortune. I'm a size 13 too, and wide boards these days ride a lot slimmer than they used to, so no worries there. Get something that will be fun and forgiving (a softer wide/mid-wide), and don't be afraid to try your friends smaller boards, or even (dare I say) rent until you figure it all out. The experience will be priceless in helping you determine what you want and what you should be riding.
Um...? is offline   Reply With Quote