Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Goofy or Regular?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
rasmasyean
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
(Time of posting, poll at 22 Goofy/23 Regular)

I'm actually fairly surprised. Usually at resorts I perceive more of a 1:4 (Goofy:Regular) ratio. So not incredibly rare or special, but still not the norm. I remember being really surprised once when everyone on a lift was goofy once.

Course, sucks when you're on the right side of the lift and a regular rider is on the left... oops.
I think in my world there's more regular than goofy too.

I think the reason is that most people are righties, and hence it may be more natural to throw a right-hand punch from the rear (aka right cross) and kick a ball from the rear. Thus you stand with left foot forward, etc.

I also read that some people find it easier to use the "strong foot" to "sweep" the tail skidding alternating directions while the lead foot is more used for just balancing. Hence, you can use a kicking analogy here too.

I'm regular but I ride goofy more ever since I learned switch. In total, I think I've ridden goofy a bit more than regular throughout my mountain life but I'm still quite a bit better at regular. Like the only time I would go goofy off a kicker (other than the tiny ones), is if I'm prepared to 180 off it and land regular.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-15-2010 at 09:13 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote