Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone else have Burton boots biting into their calves?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
blackrain

Default Does anyone else have Burton boots biting into their calves?

I went to the local ski/snowboard shop and their service seemed very good. Based on fitting, they recommended a Burton boot and a Rome Smith boot. Here is the Rome Smith boot.

Rome Smith Boot | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2010

I don't remember the name of the Burton boot but it was entirely light brown, and I can't seem to find it online. Maybe it was a 2009?

The salesman said that the main difference between the 2 boots was that the Burton boot was a lot stiffer and had more insulation. The Burton boot was about $75 more at MSRP, but they were both the exact same price after clearance savings. I tried on both boots. when I would stand straight up on the Burton boot, there was a a lot of pressure at the top of my calves. When I took the Burton boot off, there was a deep trace of a line in my calf (the Burton boot was biting into my calf). The Rome boot did not have this problem at all.

While you normally don't stand straight up (except when standing around or waiting for a lift), the saleperson still recommended against it for me since I need to be able to stand up and walk in these boots on occasion. So I went with the Rome as the most comfortable.

I tried a Burton Invader boot at a different store and had the exact same problem with the pressure/biting into my calves.

What do you think? I feel like I had a settle on a more inferior boot because of fit. Is that pressure and biting of the boot into the calf something normal that everyone kind of deals with? Or is that absolutely something I should avoid?