Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Your Snowboard Vehicle.
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #455 (permalink)
dharmashred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Not true in all situations. Black ice 99.9% of the time is unseen. This is worse in snow since the bottom ice is covered by soft snow on top. I can't tell you how many people I see in their "invincible AWD" cars driving like they own the road in these conditions. Next thing you know, they have to start braking their vehicle because someone else slides in front of them or cuts them off because they weren't paying attention to blind spots while switching lanes. Braking in snow doesn't mean that the driver is bad. What's bad is a driver that thinks they have an end-all do-all vehicle. There are just too many other variables in snowy/icy conditions. The only safe way to drive, no matter your vehicle, is to get good tires and drive like an 80 year old grandma. At that speed, 2wd is sufficient.

Of course the game changes when you are on a wide open road. Then the 4WD can be really fun in those conditions. Especially a Soob and an Audi w/quattro.
QFT. (and fixed that for ya! )

People also forget that having AWD means fuckall if you don't have snow tires or at least all seasons. If the tires freeze, there won't be any traction. Driving in snow/ice, I'm always looking at the road ahead, especially approaching a turn, but sometimes you can't see the shit until you feel the change underneath you. The suv I just has tiptronic paddle shifting, but the S4's got alot of torque, so down shift, easy off the clutch and if necessary a slight tap on the brakes. Plus if you downshift, it's also important to check your speed and rpms, a sudden downshift at too high of a speed is no good. If i'm driving a straightaway and see a patch of ice coming right up, I just have to burn right through it, at that point any sudden braking or shifting will be assed out.