Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Nitro team gullwing? opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
nx_911_turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Well I'm currently looking for something a little stiffer than my NS SL-R. From what I'm reading, I think the Nitro Team Gullwing is actually a bit softer, which does me no good. Without being able to demo one or even handle one in person at the store, I most likely will be passing on it. Plus, Mervin and NS boards have the added bonus of some edge tech for better hold in icy/hardpack conditions.

How did it compare to the Slayblade? I know that's a pretty stiff/damp board. Did you ever try a Turbo Dream for comparison's sake?
Softer than the Slayblade, but definitely enjoy it more. The Slayblade was fun with the Flatline, but I wouldn't buy one myself, and I'm not completely sold on it. I find the Nitro to be more playful, while still being fairly stable on landings, and while the Slayblade wasn't lacking stability in comparison, it didn't stack up as well to ride as a playful board. Slayblade seemed to me like it would be a good all-around board, but not great for anything in particular. Not enough edge hold/stability for charging hills and riding lines I do on my Concept TMS (still haven't found a non-cambered board that rides the way I like for that), but not as playful as any other options for cruising or even a little park riding. Flatline tech hasn't sold me just yet, though I may give it another chance next year to compare to these Nitro Rook's I've heard so much about from some local riders. It's not that it doesn't function, but it definitely doesn't hold quite the same edge hold as a cambered board (as they claim), and wasn't different enough in the playfulness to make it what I'd want. It may be what you're looking for, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOTGUNABEER View Post
It's nice to see someone else in my weight class lol. 250lbs. I got the 162 for kinda pissing around considering my local hill is a joke. mainly flatish runs with an ok park but it's still fun with friends.
I love mine for what it is. The ONLY time I wished I had taken another board instead, or even thought about it, was riding solid ice, and I knew going up I shouldn't have been taking it (but I wanted to test it out, especially with the new Data's). On the other hand, I have had days where I wished I'd had this, at least for part of the day, when riding the Concept TMS.
nx_911_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote