Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Respect?

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  tooscoops 
G
#1 ·
What happened to people having respect for other riders while riding in the park? The last four times I've been riding at my local hill, I can't even tell you how many times I've almost been injured or injured someone else because of people not paying attention. I always wait on the side before hitting a jump, making sure its clear, then yell Drop before I come in. Yet there is always some moron who decides to go without looking and cuts me off, or somebody who cuts in from the side and stands right behind the kicker while I'm heading right at them. Or somebody who falls on a box and then decides to sit there and laugh and wave to their friends and lay on the box while a line of people are waiting to hit it. It seems like most of the seasoned park riders understand this, but there are so many people in the park who have not even mastered the basic skills of riding and are a serious danger to themselves and others. I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, I guess it is, I just wish people would have some respect for other riders and realize that they could get themselves, or others seriously injured.

#2 ·
people lose their minds when on the hill. Maybe is sensory overload?

This weekend while shooting pics, I saw some wack-ass stuff go down.

I watched as an 8 year old beginner skier cut off an expert rider who was in route for the kicker. Then the kids stops on the LZ and stares blankly at me while I continued to berate him about what he had just done. I say, "You gonna get hurt standing there!" Still no response from the kid. He then continued on to the next jump and stood on the lip again... :dunno:

G
#4 ·
I agree, I ride with boardNbob and he saw me almost take out two people coming off kickers and get hurt in the process. We have some funny video of it too haha.

I dont know if it is just from area to area or what but last season I rode regularly at 2 mountains (Whitetail and Liberty) in central PA and I NEVER had an issue with people or saw someone do something they werent supposed to. Now this season at 2 different mountains (Jack Frost and Big Boulder) about 2 hours away from the ones i rode last season, you cant get down the hill without someone doing something dangerous.

Its not just little kids playing on boxes, both times that there was almost a serious incident with me this past weekend, it involved adults!! riding along and stopping right on the knuckle in front of the kicker i was hitting, all without ever looking to see if it was ok for them to stop there!!

:eek::confused::mad:

G
#5 ·
i know what it is, the kids from like 8-10 years are the worst in my opinion they don't watch out at all, last time i was hitting a box with pretty good speed, then a stupid kid just stops at the end of the box, i thought i would take him down, i could just avoid it, but evenwell he could have my snowboard in his stomach. then the kid even has some nasty talk to me, f*cking parents should teach them to watch out.

#6 ·
I think people in general have little to no respect for others nowadays, its not just on the mountain. I have noticed that the mountains that require a smart style course and a special park pass that is actually checked keeps out alot of the people clueless to respect. I also try to go during the week and stay away from the weekends. It's a huge difference. Week=skilled riders that dont stop at every feature and know common courtesy. Weekend=little kids and clueless parents all over the park.

#11 ·
I feel you, but I can empathize with the little kids or people who are just green to the park. Most of the time they just haven't had anyone to show them how it works.

The people who piss me off are the punk-ass 12-18 year old brats (I'm 20 by the way) that hang out in the park and talk shit or go out of their way to act out. I ride in the Midwest and East mostly, and it has seemed like the majority of those kids are rockin the twin tips with matching bright-ass pants and jacket.

I was doing laps the other day, working on styling out an air-on flat to down rail that I'd been gapping the down section on. Lo and behold, a kid on twin tips wearing what looked like a goddamn XXL blaze orange painter's suit, lets a snowball fly at me as I'm riding away from the rail. Kiddie was lying on the ground with some buddies next to a kicker talking about whatever those steezy little fucks talk about. I would have loved to see those kids get buried in spray, but I'm not the type to do that.

Did not mean to rant, but there go. Lucky for me I can make just enough trips out West to cancel out the douche vibes that seem to be stat quo over here.

#15 ·
my opinion is that today associate "park" riding with mainstream snowboarding. Not that i am an elitist park rider or anything, but there are definitely different rules of engagement in the park compared to bombing a blue run.

Now that shaun white made everyone think they should be jumping around, by default more people are in the park thinking it is the village run.

#20 ·
East coast by far. While out here we do get the occasional dip shit or teen who thinks the world revolves around them and the sun sets and and rises out of their ass, most people are pretty respectful in the park. Teens are the worst by far and as others have said, I think it is the fault of the parents for not teaching their kids to be respectful. On busy days, I just avoid the shit show and ride back country and play on natural features.
This guy nailed it. Regardless of where you're from, the younger crowd does not seem to understand or appreciate park etiquette and courtesy. Generalizations aside, busy days in the park remind me of traffic jams with one person blowing it for everyone else.

#21 ·
its not just the kids. i help patrol at our local hill. the people i have to berate the most are middle aged people. (it also seems that the majority are foreign, but i don't think i can base the results on that without further testing).

i sat by the "helmets mandatory" sign on the bottleneck to get into the park the other day. a bunch of families out for a little ski and ride session kept trying to get in claiming that the snow was the nicest in there. i said, no helmets, sorry, can't go in and the mother got all mad saying they weren't going to hit anything...

idiots. i'm not saying helmets because you are going to fall... i'm saying helmets because their are people doing things that would be considered erratic elsewhere and there are times (such as being mid-air) where they have no control and are unable to avoid a dumb person cutting through a landing zone.

overall, there is a lack of accountability, a lack of respect, and a lack or common sense. dangerous.

evolution has stopped. the fittest are surviving much less often. in a thousand years, i expect my descendants to look like ewoks and live in trees.

G
#22 ·
its not just the kids. i help patrol at our local hill. the people i have to berate the most are middle aged people. (it also seems that the majority are foreign, but i don't think i can base the results on that without further testing).

their are people doing things that would be considered erratic elsewhere and there are times (such as being mid-air) where they have no control and are unable to avoid a dumb person cutting through a landing zone.

overall, there is a lack of accountability, a lack of respect, and a lack or common sense. dangerous.

evolution has stopped. the fittest are surviving much less often. in a thousand years, i expect my descendants to look like ewoks and live in trees.
I agree, late teens to middle aged people are the ones that give me the most trouble. At least the little kids have been smart enough to turn and look to see if someone is coming, the most they do is play on the boxes where I can at least see them.

i also would like to agree to the Ewok comment :laugh:, life has become too easy, not that im complaining, but people need to get out more and get away from things that do the thinking for you once in a while. That way you can actually use your brain and develop a little common sense. Then maybe the amount of people on my "stupid people list" might go down. :cheeky4:

#24 ·
yeah, there are a few rules that seem to have exception in the park. there are some jump lines that need to be fired straight at or you'll hit a knuckle, not clear the gap, etc. in those cases, you can't be expected to always avoid those people downhill of you.

the terrain areas are not meant to be ridden as a regular run. as you mention, it is always wise to look before you leap, but in those cases, you ride to the side and since you know and understand the park, you stay out of peoples way.

as for the really little kids.. i think its hilarious and cute an all that, but if its a busy day, its just asking for trouble. there is a time and a place... think the greatest good for the greatest number. sure we mess up the kids day hoping he can hit some features and tumble off the lip after just making it up, but by not having him/her there, 5-10 more people can hit that same feature in the same amount of time and people won't be getting landed on.

oh, as a side note, my apologies for using the wrong "their" up in that last post... man.. i hate when i do that... just had to get quoted too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.